Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What Secrets Have Your Children Told At School?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 15 Replies

9 Embarrassing Family Secrets Kids Reveal at School

by Sarah Bernard

If you take a car ride with either of my daughters you will certainly know my life story by the end of it and probably my mother's and grandmother's as well. I've got two over-sharers and while it can be charming it can also be awkward. Especially when things I'd rather not broadcast end up illuminated in art projects or included in their classroom journals.

I recently spotted a journal entry illustrating the "castle" we live in (not true), the time I took them on a late-night ice cream run in their pajamas (OK, once) and a rendering of the four of us sleeping in the same bed like a pile of monkeys. If only I could have added a footnote: "Actually, this rarely happens because if both girls come in our room in the middle of the night, I'll head back into one of their beds. Best sleep ever!"

From an entirely informal survey of parents' in the same boat, here are the 9 topics of revelation that sting the most.

1. Evidence of Affluence (real or imagined). Drawings of large country houses with pools, hot tubs, huge backyards, tennis courts, Ferraris and helipads.
  2. Broken promises (real or imagined). Pets you'd said you'd get, toys you'd said you'd buy, that little brother they're still waiting for.
  3. Gross habits of dad. Smelly socks. Snoring.
  4. Ever-present Electronics. There's nothing like a family portrait where everyone's either slumped in front of a TV, playing Wii, holding a iPad or all of the above. 
  5. Family routines (real or imagined). When a friend's daughter was asked to draw what they do on weekends she had dad cooking and mom napping. 
  6. Any kind of booze. Wine. Beer. But usually wine.
  7. Family dynamics. When describing her family a friend's kid wrote that she was more like her dad but her sister "has a bad temper like mommy."
  8. Big Birthdays. Sometimes you were hoping to keep certain milestones under the radar.
  9. Dark thoughts on siblings. Sharing a room. Toys that got mysteriously destroyed. Flat out jealousy. It may seem peachy on the surface but when kids reveal their true feelings, it can get ugly.

Has your kid ever revealed something you wish they hadn't at school?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on May. 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM

No, this hasn't been an issue.

jen113000
by Jenna on May. 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Nope. Nothing.
bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Not that I know of...

GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM

We were on DS's field trip with his K class.  Its a private Christian school so no busses so parents drive for the field trips.  His teacher was in my car & noticed the red lines from 2 years ago when DS #1 & #2 drew in the car.  DS promptly told her how mad I was when I found out - down to the detail that it was Sunday morning. lol  She just kept asking DS why they did it.

kLynch315
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Not from my kids that I know of, but my nieces used to tell people that my sister didn't feed them or do the dishes. Totally not true. 

toopicky429
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Nothing bad, but my daughter did tell everyone when I had an ectopic pregnancy. She even told a cashier at Lowe's that I had lost my left tube, and just got home from surgery. Nothing like sobbing at the register in a home improvement store.
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Yes. After my youngest was born my older 2 asked every baby's mom we saw if they boobie fed their babies, cause that's what good mommas do :/

My oldest also told his class that mommy fed baby like cows and pigs and deer do... And that I have a special machine that gets the milk.out when babys sleeping.
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Yes. After my youngest was born my older 2 asked every baby's mom we saw if they boobie fed their babies, cause that's what good mommas do :/

My oldest also told his class that mommy fed baby like cows and pigs and deer do... And that I have a special machine that gets the milk.out when babys sleeping.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Not that I'm aware of. . .  Which is good, I guess. If they have overshared, it hasn't been bad enough to warrant any concerned calls/emails from school : )

SaraBethKY
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM

My cousin and his brother bought a set of handcuffs at the flea market down the road from their house....my aunt immediately confiscated them and hid them. Well...she hid them under the bed and my younger cousin, maybe 1st grade at the time brought them to school. The teacher asked where he got them from and instead of saying the flea market he said "Under my mom and dad's bed." :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)