Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Day care question

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 5:58 PM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

My DD just turned 6 and has a bit of a weight problem. I've been working hard with her pediatrician, and we've made huge progress in 2 months. She's getting back to where she should be with a few changes we've made at home. Her daycare provider is aware as I had her keep a food diary for a week for me so we could try to pin point the problem areas. The owner has asked how DD has been doing, so she's aware it's been an ongoing process and we've made a lot of positive progress.

The problem is the daycare place is sending one of the helpers to pick up fast food through a drive through for the adults. This has been happening when they pick my DD up from kindergarten, so she's in the back seat when they hit the drive through.

Would you have a problem with this? Apparently the grown ups do this frequently. I really don't care what the adults eat, but I have mixed feelings about them taking my kid with them through the driive through and feel it sends a mixed message, especially to a kid who already has a weight problem.

by on May. 9, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kngarber
by on May. 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this
No I wouldn't . Though really they should be doing that on break/lunch. Unfortunately just bc your dd is on a restricted diet doesn't mean the rest of the world is. It sucks, but part of life.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I would not be upset unless they are offering her the fast food no nos as a snack.   As long as you teach her that your family as a whole is eating healthier and living healthier, she will learn that others do not follow that philosophy.

babynurse244
by Beth on May. 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I understand that just becaue my kid is on a restricted diet, the rest of the world isn't. She really isn't on a restricted diet, we've just cut out a lot of the junk. I have a problem with them running errands with my kid in the back of the car when it's supposed to be strictly pick up and drop off and also this daycare is part of the state nutrition program. I think it really sends a mixed message to be feeding the adults fast food frequently in front of the kids and proudly proclaiming you're a part of the state nutrition program. I really have an issue with them running their errands with my kid in the car.

Quoting kngarber:

No I wouldn't . Though really they should be doing that on break/lunch. Unfortunately just bc your dd is on a restricted diet doesn't mean the rest of the world is. It sucks, but part of life.

mommytoeandb
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Check state regulations. IMO, deviating from approved routes puts them in a bad position if an accident happens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babynurse244
by Beth on May. 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

It bothers me for 2 reasons. It is supposed to be pick up and drop off only. And I just think it's wrong for adults to be eating something different and seen as a "treat" in front of kids, especially when the establishment is supposed to be part of the state nutrition program and teaching kids healthy eating habits. Pick your lunch up on your break, not with my kid in the car.

Quoting mommytoeandb:

Check state regulations. IMO, deviating from approved routes puts them in a bad position if an accident happens.

annelauer
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting kngarber:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Your daughter is going to have to learn that her diet doesn't apply to everyone else.  I agree that the employees should probably be doing that on their lunch/break, but iMO it's not that big of a deal and IF your daughter wasn't restricted then I don't think you would care as much.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM
The food no, thats their deal, deviating from route yes. They are supposed to go straight to school and back with child, just like a school for a feild trip, they need a permission slip to deviate from path. So that, YES
babynurse244
by Beth on May. 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I care because i was told it would be drop off/pick up only, there would be no errands involved. I'm upset that my daughter is being sent a mixed message and the kids are fed one thing while she is being taken on what I feel are essentially personal errands by the employees. This daycare supposedly follows the nurtitional guidelines and teaching set out by the state. This daycare also did outings last summer and a permission slip was required to be signed by the parents. This is a deviation from where she is supposed to be going, they are running errands with my child in the car.

I found out when a friend of mine said "I saw your daughter at Wendy's" and I said "when was this? We weren't at Wendy's" and she said she saw her in the back of a van in the drive through and my daughter waved and she waved back.

I just got off the phone with the owner. She was aware it was going on and was allowing it, but agreed it didn't set the best example for the kids. I told her I didn't care what her staff did or what they ate, but please do not take my child with them on their personal errands when I was told it was pick up and drop off only when I specifically asked when we interviewed to place our kids there. She agreed it shouldn't be happening.

Quoting mjande4:

Your daughter is going to have to learn that her diet doesn't apply to everyone else.  I agree that the employees should probably be doing that on their lunch/break, but iMO it's not that big of a deal and IF your daughter wasn't restricted then I don't think you would care as much.

RMC007
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I have mixed feelings about it. I would think the day care bus driver should pick up the kids from school and head back to the center. With expensive as after school care is, I would be more mad that my child is spending extra time in a car rather than working on homework, playing with friends, and participating in structured activities. I think I would feel the same way if the day care driver was stopping anywhere on the way back to the school. Unfortunately, you cannot control what other people eat. There are going to be friends who bring unhealthy foods to school and eat them in front of your dd. There are going to be teachers who choose to eat foods you feel are unhealthy in front of your kids. I would bring up the whole running of the errands with your day care's director, but leave the fast food out of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)