Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

When is a teacher considered a bully??

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:11 AM
  • 26 Replies

My 10-year-old son has always been fidgety in school and talks when he shouldn't at times.  Today was one of those times.  There are a few boys like him and today he and his friend were chatting too much, my son probably doing most of the chatting today.  When I picked him up from school, he was crying and said his teacher wanted to talk to me. I have been in contact several times over the year with his teacher and at the beginning of the year, I was happy that he had a male teacher. So at our "meeting" today his teacher said that my son was talking too much and he sent him to the hallway and then my son muttered a sarcastic remark so he sent him to the principal's office. My son and other kids said the teacher actually screamed at him to get out and P said "wow" as he was walking out (heard this after). That was his sarcastic remark and yes, he should not have said anything I know).  Then the teacher lost it and yelled at him to go to the office (again, I heard after our meeting that other kids heard him yelling down the hallway).  The teacher says to me that my son sat in the office all afternoon and then says to me and him, "He thinks he's really cool.  You weren't so cool when you were crying all afternoon in the office were you?'  And my son is crying during this "talk" and the teacher says, "You're not so cool now crying here in front of your mom are you?"  My son is not one of the so called cool kids and he sure doesn't try to be.  Then the teacher says to me, "You know some of the teachers don't like "P" (my son) and one teacher said to me at the beginning of the year..... oh, you got P in your class, too bad."  I was so stunned and I think my face was ashen.  I said to my boy, "Let's go" and we walked out of there and I don't want to go back.  What kind of teacher says that to a 10-year-old child??  He's not a bad kid at all.  We don't have a good principal now, for three years. so talking with him is not going to do anything.  Am I over reacting?      

by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 2:24 AM

I would be upset that he continued to taunt the fact that a student broke down.  Are there any teachers you can trust to talk to about their perception of said teacher?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 2:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I would go above the worthless principal to the school board. 

Send a lettter to the Principal requeting a meeting and listing your concerns and ideas to correct it nd cc: the School board and Superintendent.

I know it's late in the year - but nip it in the butt NOW. It is uncalled for for a teacher to be belittleing nd taunting a child, no matter their age.

My Ds in 1st grade heard the teacher tel lher aide that "Sean is stupid and lazy" and came home in HYSTERICS asking why God made him stupid. I asked him where he head that and he says ,"My teacher says so and teachers don't lie." ...Ummm well.. THAT was a long talk!  He was out of the school soon fter when things didn't improve. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm not excusing the teacher, BUT your son has clearly pushed his buttons and he's ten.  Ten year old boys are a PIA and together a bigger PIA.  Some teachers, particularly the males in elementary, get all the "problem children/boys in one class.  I wouldn't call him a bully, but I would say he hit a breaking point  and let your son know it.  Your son is old enough to know better and it's the end of the year enough is enough.  Are you able to find a new school in your area that separates your son from his friends and gives him a "fresh" start?  He has a bad reputation and regardless of whether you complain to the principal/superintendent, this is NOT going to change.  Good luck!

WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM
That is not ok for a teacher to act this way. I'd bring it up to the principal and if it still went on I'd probably change schools. Just my opinion.
soymujer
by Mikki on May. 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this

If the principal isn't doing anything, take it to the superintendent.  If he doesn't do anything, take it to the board. 

family in the van   Mom of four

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:43 AM
You are really excusing the teacher, an adult kids are supposed to be able to respect and talk to, for treating a 10 yo boy like crap? Wow!

Yes, the boys SHOLUD know better, bit NO deserves to be belittled and made to cry over something like this.

Quoting mjande4:

I'm not excusing the teacher, BUT your son has clearly pushed his buttons and he's ten.  Ten year old boys are a PIA and together a bigger PIA.  Some teachers, particularly the males in elementary, get all the "problem children/boys in one class.  I wouldn't call him a bully, but I would say he hit a breaking point  and let your son know it.  Your son is old enough to know better and it's the end of the year enough is enough.  Are you able to find a new school in your area that separates your son from his friends and gives him a "fresh" start?  He has a bad reputation and regardless of whether you complain to the principal/superintendent, this is NOT going to change.  Good luck!

StoneColdKiller
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Hes 10 and its near the end of the year?

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I would write down everything you can about this instance, and I would talk send a letter to the principal and the school board with that written account.

BannerElkHogans
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM

No I would go to the school Board ......I don't want to think about how many other kids this man teacher has done that to...an yes that is Emotional Bullying

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I completely agree with this!

Quoting mjande4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)