Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Sports bras

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 12 Replies

I know this is going to sound like a strange question, but is there anything wrong with a developing 12 yr old girl only wearing sports bras?  My 11 (soon to be 12) year old SD started developing over a year ago.  She's still only an A cup size but refuses to wear regular bras because she says they are uncomfortable and pinch.  I can only get her to wear sports bras and for the most part that works out fine because she mostly wears t-shirts, but if she dresses up, the sports bras don't look right.  My question is less of an asthetic question but rather I'm curious to know if it will have any adverse affect on her development since sports bras (well at least the ones she wears) don't have much support.  They're just lycra and hold everything in rather than support anything.  Is there a point where she will need to wear a real support type bra or is it fine for her to continue wearing only sports bras even as her cup size grows?    

by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toopicky429
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM
I think it's fine. I know plenty of adult women who have always worn sports bras with no ill effects. If that's the most comfortable for then I would just let her wear them.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM

It's fine. My daughter and I pretty much only wear sports bras unless we are dressing up.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I preferred sports bras when I was a teenager. I'm not aware of any side effects to wearing them while still developing.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 6:10 PM

It is fine for her to just wear sports bras.  If you want perhaps see if she will the ahh bras or genie bras.  Those are similar to sports bras but come with cups that you can insert for more shape.   I am a c/d and they support me great during the day.  

jojobean558
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Same with my DD and i

Quoting mjande4:

It's fine. My daughter and I pretty much only wear sports bras unless we are dressing up.

Marge2624
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 7:17 PM

That's all my daughter (11) wears too.  They are the most comfortable for her right now.

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on May. 10, 2013 at 7:19 PM
I finally got my 16 yr old to stop wearing sport bras all the time just last year. Nothing wrong with letting her wear them.
BuckeyezRule
by Laura on May. 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I've been wearing sports bras for years. Heck, over 10 years. I only wear a real bra if I have to. I'm a big a, small b. I've never had any issues. :)

story0702
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 8:19 AM
My daughter only ever wears sports bras. I don't think there are any side effects.
corrinacs
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Considering she's still only an A, I think sports bras are fine for now.  There's not much to hold up.  In fact, girls at that ages shouldn't be wearing underwire bras anyway.  And the more her breasts have room to grow, the better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)