Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

8 year old DS is acting out.

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son is usually pretty well behaved. He, like any other 8 year old boy is very hyper and can get a little crazy. He had some hitting issues at the beginning of the school year but we were able to get it under control. He was just overly stressed in his new environment and was acting out because of it. He hasn't had any problems at school since.

Every friday he goes to a lego league with other boys that he's known for a long time. They usually have a great time. I don't stay in the room with him because I am co-leader of my DD's girl scout troop that meets in the room next door. 

I got a phone call from another parent (whom I'm friends with) this evening telling me that DS has been cussing (crap/damn), hitting the other boys and breaking their legos. I will say that there is another boy in there that is just plain out of control, rude, nasty..etc. He was not part of the original group but his sister joined scouts so it made sense for him to join the lego league. I know that DS will mimic those around him and this boy is a bad influence BUT I don't accept that as an excuse for his behavior.

He isn't acting this way at school, he doesn't usually act this way at home, so I am just horrified that he is acting this way there.

I'm sorry it's so long.

Here are my questions.

1. Is anyone else having these issues with their boys?

2. Other than talking to him about his behavior, any other suggestions?

I am just horrified at his behavior.

I've talked to him about his behavior, told him to stay away from the other boy and explained to him that if he can't control himself he won't be going back. I don't know what else to do.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 10:50 PM

BUMP!

Karen_S
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you need to stop and really hear the fact that he has behavior problems.  Stop blaming it on some other kid, stop with the excuses of him being stressed, and start holding him responsible for his actions.  Talk to him about it and try to figure out what is going on.  But also tell him that if he swears or hits he will have to skip the next Lego class. And ask the class leader (adult) to tell you how he's doing. And carry through. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Quoting Karen_S:

I think you need to stop and really hear the fact that he has behavior problems.  Stop blaming it on some other kid, stop with the excuses of him being stressed, and start holding him responsible for his actions.  Talk to him about it and try to figure out what is going on.  But also tell him that if he swears or hits he will have to skip the next Lego class. And ask the class leader (adult) to tell you how he's doing. And carry through. 

I've already told him that he won't be allowed to go back if it happens again.

The hitting at school has stopped, he has been a model student since.

I am not blaming the other kid, I said that in my explanation. I was pointing it out for background.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this
He needs more consequences than just talking to.

Does he lose privileges? Do you make him write a letter of apology? Does he get punished?
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

He needs more consequences than just talking to.

Does he lose privileges? Do you make him write a letter of apology? Does he get punished?

He does have to write apology letters, we are big on that. We usually ground him with extra chores.

This came out of the blue this evening, he was already in bed. I went in and talked to him for a few minutes but nothing more because he was falling asleep. Trying to decide how to proceed at this point.

He was told that the next time any of that happens he is done with lego league for the rest of the season.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN