Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trampoline Opinions

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM
  • 63 Replies

I have heard good and bad about Trampolines.

We are thinking about getting one. Is it better to have a net or not?

I know they can be danagerous.

by on May. 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I have never been on a trampoline with a net so i have no personal experience.   How old are your children and would they be able to follow all the safety rules that goes with owning a tramp?

notjstanothrmom
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Fun... but statistics show they are very dangerous. I think with netting and proper rules that must be obeyed I think it would be fine.
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM
I like a net, yes a trampoline can be dangerous. But like any activity, kids need to be supervised
Mom2theResQ
by on May. 12, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Ours is in the ground

aj23
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM
2 moms liked this
If you own your home make sure to check your policy. Mine states that netting is required otherwise it will not cover anything. A previous policy said that having a trampoline can void the policy.
GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 12, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I agree with checking with your homeowners policy, I've heard of them not allowing trampolines, or requiring the net.

I would love the option of having it in a hole in the ground.  That seems like the safest option, but only works if  you have a big enough yard.

Otherwise, get a net.

Trampolines have a bad rap, but the families that I know who've had them haven't had that much higher a rate of broken bones compared to families without one.  Heavens, my 4 yo DS climbed up on the changing table a couple weeks ago & fell off fracturing his arm.  I'm not getting rid of the changing table because of that - although I will continue to tell him to not climb on it (no idea why he did that day, he hadn't in a really long time).

Moms_Angels1960
by on May. 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Quoting GwenMB:

I agree with checking with your homeowners policy, I've heard of them not allowing trampolines, or requiring the net.

I would love the option of having it in a hole in the ground.  That seems like the safest option, but only works if  you have a big enough yard.

Otherwise, get a net.

Trampolines have a bad rap, but the families that I know who've had them haven't had that much higher a rate of broken bones compared to families without one.  Heavens, my 4 yo DS climbed up on the changing table a couple weeks ago & fell off fracturing his arm.  I'm not getting rid of the changing table because of that - although I will continue to tell him to not climb on it (no idea why he did that day, he hadn't in a really long time).

Ouch On the little one. Kids can and do break bones anywhere. I had not thought of checking the home owners insurance though I will get on that before we purchase one. She is 11 and then of course there will be probably neighborhood kids on it and then we do have grandkids that will probably get on it. I know our yard is big enough for sure I never heard of putting it in the ground though.

Moms_Angels1960
by on May. 12, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Quoting frndlyfn:

I have never been on a trampoline with a net so i have no personal experience.   How old are your children and would they be able to follow all the safety rules that goes with owning a tramp?

She is 11 and we have grandkids and neighborhood kids here all the time also.
dee1603
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep. Super dangerous. I want one.
momamanda
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I have 3 children. We have a trampoline with net and they LOVE it! My only rule is when they have friends over no more than 4 or 5 on the trampoline so they don't get trampled. My kids are 5,7, and 9. I would not have one without a net personally. Even I feel more protected with the net when I jump. My son bounces so high and fast that he usually bounces off the net lol. No one has ever been injured on ours other than bumping into eachother, getting a hand stepped on etc.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)