Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Customize Your Family Schedule Challenge Day 1: Family Binder!

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM
  • 102 Replies
7 moms liked this

How often do you sift through a huge pile of papers to find the one that you actually need? Today's challenge is to create a family binder of important documents. A family binder is a great way for you to keep everything together so that you always have it at your fingertips.

An easy way to create a family binder is to get a 3 ring binder, clear plastic divider folders, or clear plastic sleeves. You can make your binder as fancy or as simple as you would like.

Some of the important documents you can include are:

• Insurance policies
  • Mortgage or rental information
  • Birth certificates and passports
  • Contact list of important numbers
  • Family medical documents and information
  • Important receipts
  • Car information and maintenance records
  • Pet information and veterinary records

Do you waste time looking for papers you need? Where do you usually keep your important papers? What other important documents would you include in your family binder?

If you haven't signed up for the Customize Your Family Schedule Challenge yet, you can do so here!

by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TurboMom81
Luke 2:10-11: And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.
Today at 3:02 PM
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I am constantly looking for papers. And I have a filing cabinet. I stink at organizing. I may try this binder thingy.
mandalyn74
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I have a very organized filing system so rather than having those items all together in one binder they are each in their appropriate folder in the file drawer.  I suppose it would be faster/easier to have them all in one place though.  My husband has been after me to put together something similar for our finances in case something happens to me and he has to handle it all, so maybe I can incorporate everything together in one binder.

pinkcsmtlgy
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I've been meaning to do something like this I may have to do this today.

Babujai
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:22 AM

The few really important papers I have are in a flexi-folder, but there are stacks of other documents everywhere else.  My biggest issue is determining which things are actually important and which aren't.  I'm afraid to throw some papers away just in case I need them.

aneela
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:26 AM

i have in the past but have been more organised.. i have 2 binders now for things

energygirl
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM

we keep this stuff in a file in our safe...also included is bank account info etc...

steph21078
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I had a filing system at the beginning of the school year, but it got lost in the shuffle,   I am going to try the binder

rleer4
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I keep them in binders but my desk is still piledwith papers.  I need abetter way to organize.

BKozICan
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

We have a firebox and binder with everything but maintenance schedules for the car. 

The firebox has the important papers (ss cards, birth and marriage certificates, vehicle titles, deed). The binders have the manuals for all appliances, with the reciepts stapled to them. Only ones not in there are generator (document holder attached to the side of the electric panel) and the water softener (document holder zip-tied to the water line going in).

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Those papers belong in the filing cabinet. Granted, it's not as organized as it should be, but we need more space than a 3ring binder could provide.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN