Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Ask the Teacher!

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Max
  • 335 Replies

Welcome to Elementary School Kids, "Ask the Teacher" post!

Ask anything and we will do our best to give you an honest, informative reply. 

I've been teaching elementary school for 15 years. My master's degree is in reading education and I'm certified in Exceptional Student Education, and ESL. I've taught a variety of grades and more kids than I can count. 

If you'd like to check out the hundreds of questions that have already been asked and answered check the old post here and here

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

What has been your most memorable End of the year Teacher gift?

kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

What was the worst gift you ever got for teacher appreciation?

kmrtigger
by Kandice on May. 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM

What is one thing if you ever see again will be too soon in the classroom?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Quoting kmrtigger:

What has been your most memorable End of the year Teacher gift?

Hmmm... I don't remember!

I've gotten some really nice notes and cards that I saved. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 14, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kmrtigger:

What was the worst gift you ever got for teacher appreciation?

I like all the things I've gotten. I got a bracelet last year that was very pretty, but I just don't wear bracelets. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 14, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kmrtigger:

What is one thing if you ever see again will be too soon in the classroom?

vomit

But who am I kidding. I see it at least once or twice a year. 

HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM

So I have this situation that perhaps you can help me understand.  Last year my dd was diagnosed with ADHD.  After putting her on meds and finding out she was hallucinating on them, the doctor retracted the diagnosis and referred us to a psychologist where she was (about 5 months later) diagnosed with PDD.  The teacher has been informed of this diagnostic change, however she still calls us constantly and tells us our child is a bad kid and that she needs to go on adhd meds.  How can I make her understand that that isn't an option at all?  Is there a nice way I can word it?  

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 14, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

So I have this situation that perhaps you can help me understand.  Last year my dd was diagnosed with ADHD.  After putting her on meds and finding out she was hallucinating on them, the doctor retracted the diagnosis and referred us to a psychologist where she was (about 5 months later) diagnosed with PDD.  The teacher has been informed of this diagnostic change, however she still calls us constantly and tells us our child is a bad kid and that she needs to go on adhd meds.  How can I make her understand that that isn't an option at all?  Is there a nice way I can word it?  

Is she getting services at school through an IEP?

HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:14 PM

we are working on that now, but it wont take effect because school ends so soon.  This is her first year teaching and i wanna let her know in the nicest way possible that she is not the doctor so that this doesn't happen to another little kid next year.  dd is only in first grade and dd has expressed several times throughout the school year that she's not smart enough for her teachers class.  we tried to have her switched to another class but they told us she doesn't have bad enough behavior for that.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

maxswolfsuit
by Max on May. 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM
4 moms liked this

She isn't qualified to suggest medication and it's not appropriate for her to mention it. She can discuss the previous diagnosis of ADHD and she should be letting you know about your daughter's behavior. But if she's bringing up going back on the medication I would speak to an administrator or guidance counselor about it. 

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

we are working on that now, but it wont take effect because school ends so soon.  This is her first year teaching and i wanna let her know in the nicest way possible that she is not the doctor so that this doesn't happen to another little kid next year.  dd is only in first grade and dd has expressed several times throughout the school year that she's not smart enough for her teachers class.  we tried to have her switched to another class but they told us she doesn't have bad enough behavior for that.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)