Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Welcome to Elementary School Kids, "Ask the Teacher" post!

Ask anything and we will do our best to give you an honest, informative reply. 

I've been teaching elementary school for 15 years. My master's degree is in reading education and I'm certified in Exceptional Student Education, and ESL. I've taught a variety of grades and more kids than I can count. 

If you'd like to check out the hundreds of questions that have already been asked and answered check the old post here and here

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Replies (171-180):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 19, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

What are some good,free educational websites for kindergarten?

Starfall.com is great

I got my son an account for ABCmouse.com and he's not very interested in it. 

oaron5555
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Mental Math?  How important is this for kids to know?  Our curriculum is teaching it but my kids are having a hard time doing the problems mentally.  Do they teach mental math in public school?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 31, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Quoting oaron5555:

Mental Math?  How important is this for kids to know?  Our curriculum is teaching it but my kids are having a hard time doing the problems mentally.  Do they teach mental math in public school?

I think metal math is incredibly important. 

Kids who can't do mental math will be unable to keep up when they hit harder concepts. When they have to do every single step on paper it really slows them down and offers more opportunities for mistakes. 

Kids who struggle with mental math generally have a weak grasp of the concepts of the operations. Students with strong conceptual understanding pick up mental math on their own with ease. 

Yes, mental math is part of my public school curriculum.

KimimelasMommy
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Hello I have a 7 year old DD. She started Kindergarten in 2011. Half way through I saw she was having trouble remembering sight words, counting,writing letters the right way. Some days she would know the sight word another day she would completely forget it. Letters she would write them backwards and other days she would to them the right way. I brought up the fact that she may have Dyslexia. They put her in reading and math intervention after that. The school year was comming to an end and they told me that my DD would still get the help the following year in 1st grade. 

First grade came and she started to get spelling words. She would fail the test, so they shortened the list for her. I also still saw that she was writing the letter and number backwards at times. I called the teacher and let her know how I was feeling and asked her if they saw anything and if they did what should I do about this? The teacher did agree that she could use a little more help. they tested her for IEP and it came out that she was pretty much border lined. With that being said they told her father and I that she could not qualify for the smaller one on one classes last year! She still got the math and reading intervention.

This year my DD started 2nd grade. She is still gets the math and reading intervention. The spelling is far harder for her. I have her write her spelling words 5 times each everynight, plus she gets homework from school on Tuesdays, and Thursdays. She has her nights she wants to give up as she gets tired of doing school work. She has failed every single spelling test so far this year. When she does her homework, she may get a few wrong on a math sheet, and the teacher keeps her in the whole recess to fix the errors.

My question is this.... How would I go about having her tested again for the IEP  classroom setting? What other things can I do to help pass her spelling test? Should the teacher keep DD in from recess for a feew answers wrong? I dont want to over push my DD as she does get upset and then shuts down and crys!! 

Thanks

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Quoting KimimelasMommy:

Hello I have a 7 year old DD. She started Kindergarten in 2011. Half way through I saw she was having trouble remembering sight words, counting,writing letters the right way. Some days she would know the sight word another day she would completely forget it. Letters she would write them backwards and other days she would to them the right way. I brought up the fact that she may have Dyslexia. They put her in reading and math intervention after that. The school year was comming to an end and they told me that my DD would still get the help the following year in 1st grade. 

First grade came and she started to get spelling words. She would fail the test, so they shortened the list for her. I also still saw that she was writing the letter and number backwards at times. I called the teacher and let her know how I was feeling and asked her if they saw anything and if they did what should I do about this? The teacher did agree that she could use a little more help. they tested her for IEP and it came out that she was pretty much border lined. With that being said they told her father and I that she could not qualify for the smaller one on one classes last year! She still got the math and reading intervention.

This year my DD started 2nd grade. She is still gets the math and reading intervention. The spelling is far harder for her. I have her write her spelling words 5 times each everynight, plus she gets homework from school on Tuesdays, and Thursdays. She has her nights she wants to give up as she gets tired of doing school work. She has failed every single spelling test so far this year. When she does her homework, she may get a few wrong on a math sheet, and the teacher keeps her in the whole recess to fix the errors.

My question is this.... How would I go about having her tested again for the IEP  classroom setting? What other things can I do to help pass her spelling test? Should the teacher keep DD in from recess for a feew answers wrong? I dont want to over push my DD as she does get upset and then shuts down and crys!! 

Thanks

If she was tested last year they will probably have to wait another year before testing again.  If the tests are administered too close together the results are invalid. What you are describing sounds pretty typical for many students. It's not unusual for kids to struggle at this age. It could get worse, or she could do better once she's mastered some basic skills. You can ask to speak to a guidance counselor or whoever is in charge of testing. Request a meeting and see what they think. 

For spelling try having her spell the words aloud as she writes them. Writing them over and over does little to help many kids. But hearing them could make a big difference. 

I don't keep kids in from recess to make up or correct work. Is the teacher just making her sit by herself, or does she work with her during that time? Sometimes it's the only time teachers have to work with kids one on one. I would take to the teacher and see how thinks it helps to keep her in from recess. 

KimimelasMommy
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Thanks for the information. we are going to be having parent teacher confrence right b4 Thanksgiving break and I will ask all them questions!! What do I do when Kimimela my daughter wants to give up and shut down on doing homework at home. She has been doing this since last year and they said it will happen as they are pushing alot at school with all day regular class and then the other math and reading intervention....

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting KimimelasMommy:

Thanks

If she was tested last year they will probably have to wait another year before testing again.  If the tests are administered too close together the results are invalid. What you are describing sounds pretty typical for many students. It's not unusual for kids to struggle at this age. It could get worse, or she could do better once she's mastered some basic skills. You can ask to speak to a guidance counselor or whoever is in charge of testing. Request a meeting and see what they think. 

For spelling try having her spell the words aloud as she writes them. Writing them over and over does little to help many kids. But hearing them could make a big difference. 

I don't keep kids in from recess to make up or correct work. Is the teacher just making her sit by herself, or does she work with her during that time? Sometimes it's the only time teachers have to work with kids one on one. I would take to the teacher and see how thinks it helps to keep her in from recess. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM

That's really not an unusual problem. 

The kids who sit and happily do homework are the unusual ones. LOL

You can try having her work to beat a timer. Try it for 2-5 minute intervals. Have her tell you how much she can get done in that time and then have her work on her own until it goes off. 

By breaking into small chunks like that it isn't as daunting for most kids. 

Quoting KimimelasMommy:

Thanks for the information. we are going to be having parent teacher confrence right b4 Thanksgiving break and I will ask all them questions!! What do I do when Kimimela my daughter wants to give up and shut down on doing homework at home. She has been doing this since last year and they said it will happen as they are pushing alot at school with all day regular class and then the other math and reading intervention....

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting KimimelasMommy:

Thanks

KimimelasMommy
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks SO MUCH for the information!! I will keep you updated from when we go to her conference!!! I will try to make it a game!! They have changed her math to some new Common Core so they are reteaching the kids in that area as well. The teachers say they are having a hard time doing it...We live in NY State!!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

That's really not an unusual problem. 

The kids who sit and happily do homework are the unusual ones. LOL

You can try having her work to beat a timer. Try it for 2-5 minute intervals. Have her tell you how much she can get done in that time and then have her work on her own until it goes off. 

By breaking into small chunks like that it isn't as daunting for most kids. 

Quoting KimimelasMommy:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting KimimelasMommy:

Thanks

oaron5555
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Thank you for your feedback.  I just ordered a supplemental workbook that focuses on mental math strategies.  I think this will help:)

aquababy1985
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Do u ever consider a student a BAD student?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)