Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Welcome to Elementary School Kids, "Ask the Teacher" post!

Ask anything and we will do our best to give you an honest, informative reply. 

I've been teaching elementary school for 15 years. My master's degree is in reading education and I'm certified in Exceptional Student Education, and ESL. I've taught a variety of grades and more kids than I can count. 

If you'd like to check out the hundreds of questions that have already been asked and answered check the old post here and here

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Replies (181-190):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Quoting aquababy1985:

Do u ever consider a student a BAD student?

It depends what you mean by BAD student. 

There are definitely bright kids with no study skills or drive. They don't have the skills or motivation to do their best in school. Yes, I consider them to be bad students. 

Does it mean I think they're bad kids? No

Does it mean I don't think they can change? No

littleleesmom
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I brought my sons teacher a snack and drink to our parent teacher conference she is pregnant and it was 145 in the afternoon. it made since to me but she was shocked and my sister laughed about it when i told her. I get that it is odd but is it inappropriate? 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting littleleesmom:

I brought my sons teacher a snack and drink to our parent teacher conference she is pregnant and it was 145 in the afternoon. it made since to me but she was shocked and my sister laughed about it when i told her. I get that it is odd but is it inappropriate? 

I think it's highly unusual. But very sweet. 

Not at all inappropriate. 

culinaryqueen
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Third grade Science fair projects, why are parents so competitive? My son has aspergers and is in reg ed, he has chosen a project called Volcano under Water, its really dealing with water particles, well his project includes a fish bowl, a water thermometer, red food coloring, kitchen twine and and empty vanilla extract bottle washed and cleaned out... well I attended a mtg last week re: the projects and I ran into a friend of mine whose daughter is also in third grade but in another class, well she told me that she ordered her daughter a bacteria kit online, I am aware in the upper grades this might be ok, but in third grade?? See her mom is an RN so this is right up her moms alley... just wondering. His log book is due this Friday and he has to have 10 entrees, but his project is not due till the middle of Jan.  We have everything including the poster board so today we are doing the hands on part, Man the log book had to include the date, day and time when he chose the project, and on another page we had to include when the Letter of Intent got turned into his teacher, his third entree was the day, date and time when we went to the store and bought the supplies needed and he also itemized them on this entree.  I thought in the early grades that science projects were supposed to be fun and simple you know just items around the house to create an experiment not order a kit online..It was explained in the mtg that this week the teachers were going to be discussing the scientific method to the class, he does not really understand alot of the big words so I have to break it down for him on what they mean, also he recieves OT services due to his writing, its not real great,but he tries really hard and I am so proud of him for this so I do what I can as well to help and aid him. He  has defintely improved and Im proud of him for this, so I am hoping that it will be ok that I am doing the writing, BUT.... I am using his words and not mine....GRRRR just a little fustrated..lol, this is a major grade for science 

foxymomof4
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM
I have a 14 yr old boy who has been having trouble in school he attends a private catholic school he's been there since P-k. The school has grades from p-k to 8th and this is his last year he has been having trouble since 6th grade he's grades were really bad this year has been a little better but when it comes to test taking he just shuts down and 75% of the time he fails them. How can I help him, is there something he can do to improve and not be so scared of tests?
Stevensmomma
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM

My ds is in kindergarten and knows his letters and the sounds they make and can write them very well But he is having trouble with reading we do flash cards of what words he is learning in class and he remembers them but only when they are in the same order he learned them in so I know he is not really learning them any suggestions on how to teach him better? He also cries a lot bc he doesn't want to do it so that makes it harder...

Howardx5
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Say you have a child who is advanced, reading 2-3 levels above the grade they're in. School policy says children cant skip a grade or be placed in a giften program until a certain grade, regardless of the childs test scores- what do you do to challenge the child? 

Do you make them sit through the lessons being taught and make them wait around (sit quietly. put head down. re-do a paper that was not done wrong the first time) until the other kids catch up? Do you give that child more challenging work? ...What do you do?

SlightlyPerfect
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM

How does one explain death to a 5-year-old child?

IzzyBashir
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM

My son is in 1st grade. His teacher, actually the third one this year...don't ask, doesn't want them to use their fingers to count on. How do you feel about this? Is this the new way of teaching? I don't think they have their math facts rememorized enough to not use their fingers.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting culinaryqueen:

Third grade Science fair projects, why are parents so competitive? My son has aspergers and is in reg ed, he has chosen a project called Volcano under Water, its really dealing with water particles, well his project includes a fish bowl, a water thermometer, red food coloring, kitchen twine and and empty vanilla extract bottle washed and cleaned out... well I attended a mtg last week re: the projects and I ran into a friend of mine whose daughter is also in third grade but in another class, well she told me that she ordered her daughter a bacteria kit online, I am aware in the upper grades this might be ok, but in third grade?? See her mom is an RN so this is right up her moms alley... just wondering. His log book is due this Friday and he has to have 10 entrees, but his project is not due till the middle of Jan.  We have everything including the poster board so today we are doing the hands on part, Man the log book had to include the date, day and time when he chose the project, and on another page we had to include when the Letter of Intent got turned into his teacher, his third entree was the day, date and time when we went to the store and bought the supplies needed and he also itemized them on this entree.  I thought in the early grades that science projects were supposed to be fun and simple you know just items around the house to create an experiment not order a kit online..It was explained in the mtg that this week the teachers were going to be discussing the scientific method to the class, he does not really understand alot of the big words so I have to break it down for him on what they mean, also he recieves OT services due to his writing, its not real great,but he tries really hard and I am so proud of him for this so I do what I can as well to help and aid him. He  has defintely improved and Im proud of him for this, so I am hoping that it will be ok that I am doing the writing, BUT.... I am using his words and not mine....GRRRR just a little fustrated..lol, this is a major grade for science 

Did you talk to the teacher about it?

I feel strongly that projects done at home need to be done by the student. I've sent home several projects that were clearly done by parents with instructions to redo them. Luckily for me my administration fully supports me in this so if parents complain I won't get in trouble. Not all school administrators  will support teachers and risk upsetting parents though. 

As for the writing for him, is that on his IEP? Since he receives OT services I don't think it's inappropriate for you to write for him as long as it's his words. Have you considered having him type it instead? Sometimes kids with OT issues never really develop great handwriting so typing is a skills they need way before middle or high school. 

I know I always grade based on the content. Your child should get a good grade because he did the work. 

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)