Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Welcome to Elementary School Kids, "Ask the Teacher" post!

Ask anything and we will do our best to give you an honest, informative reply. 

I've been teaching elementary school for 15 years. My master's degree is in reading education and I'm certified in Exceptional Student Education, and ESL. I've taught a variety of grades and more kids than I can count. 

If you'd like to check out the hundreds of questions that have already been asked and answered check the old post here and here

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Replies (221-230):
LiveinJoy
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I love this thread!

CplusG
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 7:21 PM
Thank you so much for your reply! I will update when I've met with them.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I share your friend's concerns. 

I also find it very alarming that "to their knowledge" no college has had an issue with accepting students from the school. That seems to imply they know this is real possibility. I would be extremely hesitant to enrol my child in a school like that. You don't how many different colleges their students have applied to. Your child could find their dream college and not be able to go because the school is not accredited. 

I don't know much about accreditation in GA. It could be typical for religious schools not to hold accreditation.  If that's the case, I would be less wary. But if other Christian school in the area have certified teachers and accreditation I would be asking lots of questions about why this one doesn't. It doesn't mean it's a bad school, but it would concern me.

I will also add that I have seen many public school teachers move to private school after losing their jobs for poor performance. Teachers have to meet certain standards to keep their certification. For those who can't, private schools are the only option for employment. Because they generally pay so much less than public schools they often have to hire who ever is available. 

That doesn't mean there aren't great private schools with amazing teachers. But private schools have to work hard to ensure they attract the best qualified teachers and some just don't do that. 

Quoting CplusG:

I'd like to put my daughter in a Christian private school. I've found one I like...however, the affiliations part of the handbook is stopping me in my tracks.
Here it is:

"Christian Academy" is not accredited through the state of Georgia, neither are the teachers certified with the state. We follow the Georgia state requirements for graduation and we are affiliated with the Georgia Association of Christian Schools (GACS) and the American Association of Christian Schools (AACS). To our knowledge, graduates in recent years have not had difficulties with college entrance or in joining our armed forces. We have a curriculum portfolio on file to submit to any institution requiring it for admission of students."

This what my friend, a teacher, said:
"The main things that concerned me were them not being accredited in GA and them not having certified teachers. Some colleges will not accept students if they haven't gone to an accredited school. They said that they don't know of anyone having problems with getting into college, but that might be something you want to check into. I am really concerned about the teachers credentials. If they are not certified teachers, then I would want to know what kind of training they have had to qualify them to teach. I'm not saying you have to be certified to be a great teacher, but at least if they are certified, you know that they have been properly trained."

Thank you!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmomof5
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:44 PM
My sons science teacher called my son worthless and told him he would be a homeless person living under a bridge...it was to motivate him.
kansasmomof5
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:45 PM
My sons science teacher called my son worthless and told him he would be a homeless person living under a bridge...it was to motivate him. Would u ever do that?
hopeful_taurus
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 12:21 AM

I was wondering if there is a "good" way to talk to my DD teacher about extra TCAP homeowrk on top of current homework load.  my DD already struggles with the current homework load.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Quoting hopeful_taurus:

I was wondering if there is a "good" way to talk to my DD teacher about extra TCAP homeowrk on top of current homework load.  my DD already struggles with the current homework load.

I don't know what TCAP is. Is it homework to help kids prep for testing?

I would just tell her what you said here. Explain she was already struggling and ask if she has advice or if there's a way to do some of it over weekends or something. 

Keep in mind sometimes teachers aren't the ones deciding what to assign for homework. So might not be about to do much about it. But it doesn't hurt to ask. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Quoting kansasmomof5: My sons science teacher called my son worthless and told him he would be a homeless person living under a bridge...it was to motivate him. Would u ever do that?

I answered in your other post. 

I will add that it's important to find out the exact words the teacher used. 

ditsyjo
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 9:45 PM
My first grader refuses to read in class ...I know he can read on a 1st grade level because he will read to me and his grandma but not for anyone else... When I ask h why he won't he says he's shy or that he's afraid he will make a mistake. He has a speech issue (pronunciation only) and I know at least one other kid has given him a hard time about it... So my question is do you have any suggestions to build up his confidence and or help him get past his fear.
DyslexiaParent
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I would like to point out that homeschoolers get their kids into college without accredited programs ALL THE TIME.  Colleges generally have policies and procedures for the admissions of students who did not attend accredited schools and there are a LOT of them. 

Generally the colleges require a portfolio which enumerates which curricula and/or teaching materials were used to teach the student, the performance measurement criteria used, and test scores.  If the student tests satisfactorily on college entrance exams and has a good portfolio, then the student is generally admitted. 

Since this school says outright they have their curriculum portfolio ready for submission, then they are ready to handle that portion for you... A lot of unaccredited schools do not go that far and parents have to track that information themselves.  Accreditation is simply not *required* to get into college, if that's your main concern. 

Also, accreditation does not guaranty a great education.  Many accredited public schools fail to bring their students to a "college ready" point as is very evident from the issues brought out by colleges in needing to remediate incoming students, the high dropout rates, etc. 

Just be sure to do your homework and make sure that school has good academics in place and has good teaching practices.  Schools that do not choose to seek SACS accreditation (or any of the other regional accreditations) may not want to comply with all of the little idosyncrasies in the accreditation requirements.. and there are a lot of them if you go read the rules for SACS accreditation.

Quoting CplusG:

I'd like to put my daughter in a Christian private school. I've found one I like...however, the affiliations part of the handbook is stopping me in my tracks.
Here it is:

"Christian Academy" is not accredited through the state of Georgia, neither are the teachers certified with the state. We follow the Georgia state requirements for graduation and we are affiliated with the Georgia Association of Christian Schools (GACS) and the American Association of Christian Schools (AACS). To our knowledge, graduates in recent years have not had difficulties with college entrance or in joining our armed forces. We have a curriculum portfolio on file to submit to any institution requiring it for admission of students."

This what my friend, a teacher, said:
"The main things that concerned me were them not being accredited in GA and them not having certified teachers. Some colleges will not accept students if they haven't gone to an accredited school. They said that they don't know of anyone having problems with getting into college, but that might be something you want to check into. I am really concerned about the teachers credentials. If they are not certified teachers, then I would want to know what kind of training they have had to qualify them to teach. I'm not saying you have to be certified to be a great teacher, but at least if they are certified, you know that they have been properly trained."

Thank you!!

SandyKC
M.S. Instructional Design, Homeschooling Mom of "Light of My Life" Boys,
Author, Individualized Instruction Design Consultant

picturelady5000
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM

whats the best advice for a newly divorced parent of a 9 yr old girl . best books for her ect?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)