Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What's on your child's summer reading list?

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 45 Replies
Whether it is an official list or just a list of books that they want to read over the summer, what's on it? What grade are they in?

I am trying to get some ideas for my soon to be 3rd grader.
by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
balagan_imma
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I have a rising 3rd grader as well. He just finished the 4th Harry Potter book, and all of the Percy Jackson books. I think he might try to tackle Eragon next or maybe Magyck.

My DD and I were talking about books for him today. At his age she and DS1 loved books like Animorphs, Warriors, Rangers Apprentice, Eragon, Harry Potter. They are kind of crazy fairly advanced readers.

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM

DD is going into 2nd grade.  No required reading list for our school.  Right now she is into the Animal Ark series, Nancy Drew, Frannie K Stein and such.  She is merging from the first chapter books (like Magic Treehouse) into harder books, so i will be helping her find books like that this summer.  I am thinking some of the Ramona books would be good, along with some of the American Girl books.  She is also reading the 1st Harry Potter book. 

jen113000
by Jenna on May. 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM

My son will be going into 2nd grade next school year. As of now we don't have an official list of books to read. But I am planning on having him read something every day. Even smaller books. He likes to read, but doesn't want to yet on his own.

momofjkkc
by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:44 PM
We don't have one yet. Last year ds was all about dracula and monsters. I'm not sure about this summer. He's going into the 6th grade.
jamianne
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

We'll get a list with books suggestions for each reading level on the last day of school.  DS is taking a summer reading/writing class so whatever they assign, plus what's on the list (not required, but he struggles with reading so we're doing extra), anything his SpecEd teacher recommends, and anything else he's interested in. He's 6 and in 1st grade.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM

We've never gotten a reading list from our school, but it would be nice (as long as it was optional...).  I think I might try to read Harry Potter with my son this summer--don't know why, but I want to read it with him, not just have him read it...  Otherwise I want to try to find some different books for him to read this summer, not just the usual Magic Tree House-type books.

corrinacs
by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I don't know yet :/.  They won't announce that until school ends.  I think they send a letter home with the students on the last day of school

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 9:10 PM
No reading list here. I'll take ds to the library to read whatever he wants this summer.
SahmTam
by Tammy on May. 15, 2013 at 9:36 PM
This summer I'll have kids entering 7th, 4th and 3rd grade. They don't have a summer reading list, but we go to the library each week and they pick out whatever interests them that day.
soymujer
by Mikki on May. 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM

My kids read?  Yeah, right!!

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN