Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Advice with a 7 year old ...

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM
  • 19 Replies

Ok, this soulds insanely silly.  In fact, I cannot believe I even have to type this or ask for additional advice on this but nothing I do work.  My 7 year old son basically refuses to wipe his butt!! I have done everything.  stayed in the bathroom with him, walked him through the process, told him what to do, done it for him, made him call for help if he needed it, bought him baby wipes to help him, when it was bad made him go back to pull up's for a day or two.  Recently, I have even had to refuse to let him play with friends when his brother goes out to play.  He thinks it is a joke.  

I will say, I am his step mother and not had him from birth.  He does not know his real mother and lives with his dad and I full time.  We went back to the basics just so I knew he knew how to "take care" of himself back there. Nope.... he don't care.  He will sometimes say "it's to hard".  But he always says that to everything.  He is the cutest kid ever and should have his own tv show with the things he says but no one wants a stinky booty!  I'll take any help or advice to get this kid to wipe his butt!!!!

by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toopicky429
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Have you tried baby wipes? My son is 6, and prefers to wipe with a baby wipe so I keep them in the bathroom for him. No more skid marks in his underwear. :)
KimberlyMKasten
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM

We've had this problem with my SD. Although she wasn't as bad. We told her she needed to do a better job and we even had to check her underwear after she changed them after a bath or the next day. Sometimes with her it's just laziness or she's just trying to rush. She's gotten in trouble because of it and that usually helps.

Sorry I have no real advice for you. Good luck though!

TJMom2two
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I asked my daughter if she asks her teacher to wipe her butt at school. She tells me no, so I tell her she needs to do it at home by herself. I buy flush-able wipes for her and she prefers them much better. I also have to check her occasionally. My husband told her if she is not going to wipe her bottom then she will have to wash he panties if she soils them. This seems to have helped a bit.
mrsledford09
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM
DS started wiping his own butt one day. It just kind of clicked. Try not to make a big deal about it. He will start to get self conscious about you being in there with him. Good luck try not to be too hard on him.
mrsledford09
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
DS and DD told me they didn't do 'that' at school. Lol

Quoting TJMom2two:

I asked my daughter if she asks her teacher to wipe her butt at school. She tells me no, so I tell her she needs to do it at home by herself. I buy flush-able wipes for her and she prefers them much better. I also have to check her occasionally. My husband told her if she is not going to wipe her bottom then she will have to wash he panties if she soils them. This seems to have helped a bit.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM

maybe try teaching him to wipe while seated, or while standing up... see if different methods make it easier for him

afigs24
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I've bought him the wipes before. He thought they were cooi and liked them for his hands!!  I will try them again though.  I don't go in there anymore, there is really no need. He is so animated, he generally leaves the door open and will announce what he is doing.  I pray we dont have any guests!  Yes, welcome to my home ....  haha!!  I've been the nice mommy and the mean mommy. I've sat down and just talked to him about it - had him explain to me how to do it.  He did, he knows what to do.  He just wont do it.  Tomorrow, I'll buy him more wipes though.  Maybe I can find Superman wipes or something so he will think he is super and wipe it all away!

AhDrah
by New Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I'm having the same problem with my 7 year old daughter.  She absolutely hates doing it, but I told her, she's more than old enough.  My real problem is that she gets my grandma to wipe her, and so she never does it herself.  I've talked to my grandma but she just says that she 'needs help'.  I told her, I have no problem checking her if that's what she's concerned about, but I'm not doing it for her.  It drives me so crazy!

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Put him in a cold shower and make him clean up that way.

Have you made him hand wash his own underwear in the sink?

Have you let him pick out underwear he likes and tell him you'll throw them out if they get poop stains?

What sorts of punishment have you tried?

The problem is that it's unsanitary and others around him will know. I teach a 5th grader that will still poop his pants sometimes. It's disgusting to have to smell. Kids will figure it out and pick on or tease your son if he doesn't stop.
Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I make my boys clean up their pants when they dont' wash their butts after using the restroom.. my boys are 12 & 7. I hand them soap and tell them to scrub... ever since we did that, they won't crap in their pants and they don't have issues with wiping their butts.... now we just have an issue with them using to much toilet paper :P 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)