Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Age appropriate chores

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 9 Replies

My son is 6 and is about to finish up kindergarten. He loves video games but I don't want him plugged into the tv all summer. I would like him to have to earn the privilage to play but I need some more ideas that are challenging yet age appropriate. Right now his chores are: homework, feed the animals, make his bed and clean up his room. He has to do those things first before he plays games but that doesn't take him very long to those chores (unless his room is really messy in which case he usually chooses to not play games so he doesn't  have to clean it lol).

What would good chores/responsibilities be for a 6 year old?

by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Helping load and unload the dishwasher

Cleaning the sink in the bathroom

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Dusting, picking up dog poo/ scooping cat litter
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Make your child read with you to help earn technology time.
Karen_S
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM
ramita
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Helping with dishwasher. If you don't have one then he can rinse the dishes while whoever washes. Also sweeping, vacuuming (depending on child's size and your vacuums size) also swiffering (is you have one). Oh and he can put his own clothes, maybe not hang-ups, but anything in drawers can be put up by him.
ModaMama
by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

First, I love that you want to have him earn his video games.  We started doing that for behavior here and it worked like a charm!  They each have a little dish and as they do good things during the day, they earn little tokens in their dish.  At ten tokens, they can 'spend them' for a half hour of video games.

That said, my five year old can help load the dishwasher (I seperate the knives into a cup behind the sink), he runs the vacuum, and uses the swiffer in the bathroom.  My three year old asked for chores like his brother so he cleans the table (I spray it down, he uses the cloth to clean it) and he cleans the sliding glass door (or dogs make the bottom section all messy with their noses).

countrymomma81
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM

My 6 year old has to fix her bed, change all the small trashcans (bedrooms, bathroom and computer area), fold washcloths and save all of her clean clothes. 

jen113000
by Jenna on May. 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I've had my 7 year old change out the trash in the bathroom. Clean toys up and downstairs. Help unload the dishwasher. He vacuums sometimes. I also don't allow video games every day. They get them Wednesday after school and weekends. Not sure what the summer schedule will be just yet.

MomsRule723
by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM

My 7 year old is responsible for her homework, cleaning her room, wiping off the counter and sink in the kids' bathroom, folding her laundry after it's been washed and clearing the table after dinner.  She clears the table and big brother cleans up the dishes.  She just has to clear the dishes, put them by the sink and clear away the butter, bbq, whatever is on the table.

She loves to vacuum (but doesn't do very well) and many other things.  sometimes I let her do extra things for extra TV time.  At this age, mine loves to do chores so I try to let  her help me pick what she is responsible for doing around the house.  Just wish that love of doing chores stuck around through teenage years....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN