Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

shoe tying

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM
  • 51 Replies
DS starts kindergarten in August and i am having a hard time teaching him how to tie his shoes. I have asked my mom how she taught us and my friend told me that she went allowed to go outside one day till she tied her shoes. I have no idea how to teach it because i don't remember how i was taught. He wants to learn, he tries to do it all the time, but he gives up after a while. How did you teach your LOs to tie their shoes?
by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I taught my kid this method.  Put both laces in loops, then tie the loops and tie again in a knot.

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

We went to a clinic at nordstroms that taught her.  We had done some work prior to that, but that helped.  As did just buying her tie shoes and having her practice a lot.  Honestly, I wouldn't worry if he doesn't know how to tie for Kindy, unless it is a requirement.  Many kids don't learn until ages 6-8 years old.  Just don't send him in tie shoes if he can't tie.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM
My 7 year old that just finished 1st grade doesn't yet know how to tie his shoes. He's extremely smart but gets frustrated very easily so I haven't pressed the issue. I just don't buy tie shoes for him to wear to school.
mamavalor
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM

My little guy just learned after turning 6.  His sister learned when she was 4 and was tying everyone in her class's shoes.  Each child is different.  Leave it alone and then go back to practicing in a couple of weeks.  Good luck.

momma1708
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:26 PM
It is required, sadly. My Nordstrom doesn't have a kids department. I wish they did.

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

We went to a clinic at nordstroms that taught her.  We had done some work prior to that, but that helped.  As did just buying her tie shoes and having her practice a lot.  Honestly, I wouldn't worry if he doesn't know how to tie for Kindy, unless it is a requirement.  Many kids don't learn until ages 6-8 years old.  Just don't send him in tie shoes if he can't tie.

momma1708
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:27 PM
I think that is what i am going to do

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I taught my kid this method.  Put both laces in loops, then tie the loops and tie again in a knot.

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM
2 moms liked this
My husband had a genius idea, he made holes in some wood, threaded the shoelace thru and she learned super fast. She was already learning at school with her friends and had it down by the end of kindergarten. She mostly learned in school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is almost done with 1st grade and still won't tie his shoes. We have tried teaching him, he just won't, says he can't.

calsmom62
by on May. 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM
I took a coffee can empty with a lid, poked a set of 3 prs of "eyelets", put a shoelace through them, like a Shoe, and then they could sit with it and practice. Held kind of between their legs as they sat in the floor ir the couch, it doesn't flop around as much. Its how I learned too. But not all kids learn at the saMe age...I have a boy who took forever to learn....
calsmom62
by on May. 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Bunny ears!!! This is a good idea

Quoting momma1708:

I think that is what i am going to do

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)