Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Football Meeting was today!

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM
  • 9 Replies

I've been waiting for my son to play football since he was born! I think I'm more excited than him! Today was the informational meeting to let the parents meet the coach and to hear the ins and outs of the season, practices, etc etc... A lot was talked about, but a few main points were ---

1. Don't be late to practices or games. The coach made it clear he would not be happy about it. (Extreme curcumstances are acceptible - he means just being late cause "oops, we're late".)
2. If the kids don't come to practices and give 100% they won't be playing in the games as much as the kids who do come and give 100%. He made it clear that giving 100% means trying - they don't have to be great, just show that they are trying!
3. Parents Volunteering is a MUST. No ifs, ands or buts. All parents must voluenteer for concession stand duty, clean up, set up, etc etc... We won't be volunteering EVERY week, but we will need to volunteer a few times per season.
4. No parents on the field during practice or games. If we have an issue or concern we are to talk to him before or after practices. (of course if there's an emergency with our child we can go on the field) 
5. Being a part of the team is a commitment. There are 2-3 practices a week and 1-2 games per week. All games and practice dates will be given to us before the start of the season. If we can't make it to the games or practices (within reason) then maybe we shouldn't be enrolling our son in the program.

Now, this is for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th graders. There is a 3 grade team, 4th grade team, 5th are jr. varsity and 6th are varsity.

I was SHOCKED at how many parents were complaining about these 5 "rules".....!!!!! I agreed with each and every one of them and think it's how just about every team should be ran!

1. If you can't make it to practice on time then maybe you need to find a different sport for your child! Practices will start at 5:30 pm. One mom said "Well, we can't get to practice til 6pm due to my work schedule that's okay right?" He said no. It's not okay for your son to be late to each and every practice. You should look into finding a different sport for him or someone to drive him to practice on time.
2. If a kid isn't "trying" to learn and get better - if he doesn't really want to play and is just there cause he's made to be there why should he get the same amount of game time as another boy whos trying his hardest?!?!? Kids need to learn lifes not always "fair" and sometimes you gotta work for things!!!
3. Oh my... this was the worst! SO many parents are refusing to volunteer! I couldn't believe it! Volunteering helps the team make money (concessions) and helps keeps the fields cleaned and stocked for our kids to play! He made it clear everyone had to volunteer or the kids couldn't be on the team. There were actually moms who walked out and aren't going to let thier kids play due to not wanting to run a concession stand for a few hours a month!!!!!
4. Come on - common sense right?!?! Parents are to watch practices - Coaches are to teach and run the practices! Let them do thier jobs!
5. Same as #1... we know the dates and times ahead of time. If you aren't going to be able to make it to the majority of the games or practices why put your kid in it!?!?

So --- after typing out all my thoughts... lol... who's right? Do you think the "rules" are extreme??? I sure don't! 

by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
aetrom
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM
I agree with them however i think with 5 activities a week perhaps a bit of flexibility on the arriving late because of work.... I think his comment was a bit extreme although punctuality is certainly important telling someone their kid should find another sport? Weird.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsAmyLynn83
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:42 AM

It's only 3-4 games per week. Practice Tue/Thur/Sat and Games Sun or Sat. 

I do see where he's coming from with telling her to find another sport. I mean if you can't make it at those times then it's not going to work. There's a ton of other sports/activities - and even other places to play football other than through the school district. 
That'd be like me taking a yoga class at the YMCA and showing up late every week.... I bet the instructor and classmates wouldn't enjoy me walking in late every week! I'd need to find a class that fit my schedule. Kids need to understand and learn that they might want to do something, but it has to work with the whole family for it to happen.  

Quoting aetrom:

I agree with them however i think with 5 activities a week perhaps a bit of flexibility on the arriving late because of work.... I think his comment was a bit extreme although punctuality is certainly important telling someone their kid should find another sport? Weird.

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on May. 20, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Well, my ds won't play football unless he begs to, I agree with those rules. They really aren't horrible. :) my hubby played, and was at least good in baseball, basketball, football, ice hockey, and swimming. I am not. Lol

It's not about YOU (the parent) , it's about YOUR CHILD. I admit, I am a yeller at my kids' soccer games, but, with the coach. :) at dd's game, ds and his friend and teammate cheer for and try to guide dd. lol

At practices, sometimes I hang around. Not butt in. I have been asked alot if I want to help. I never step on toes. The coaches' word is it. :) I just follow their instructions. :)

I volunteer if needed or I want to. :) my own mom is very shy, and didn't volunteer at my school. I am extremely outgoing (used to be shy) , and I volunteer whenever I can. Or, I 'show up' to take pics, and I'm always asked for help. ;)

aetrom
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 2:08 AM
I can appreciate the problem. Perhaps if there were enough people having that issue it could change to be a bit later, etc.

Regardless i am GLAD i am not in the states. The amount of time needed for extra curricular activities seems like so much!!

Quoting MrsAmyLynn83:

It's only 3-4 games per week. Practice Tue/Thur/Sat and Games Sun or Sat. 

I do see where he's coming from with telling her to find another sport. I mean if you can't make it at those times then it's not going to work. There's a ton of other sports/activities - and even other places to play football other than through the school district. 
That'd be like me taking a yoga class at the YMCA and showing up late every week.... I bet the instructor and classmates wouldn't enjoy me walking in late every week! I'd need to find a class that fit my schedule. Kids need to understand and learn that they might want to do something, but it has to work with the whole family for it to happen.  

Quoting aetrom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen113000
by Jenna on May. 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Glad that football is going to work out for you and your family! We do baseball and karate here. We missed 2 practices, but I explained ahead of time. It was for a wedding my son was in. We needed him. It killed me to have him miss though. I do believe it making every practice and game. Team spirit!

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I don't agree with the 2nd rule. I've heard a lot of football in our area has the same rule, but even if the kids give 110% they aren't played equally. 

I'm glad my son plays team travel sports which plays kids equally at this age.

There are also different levels of sports here. I would expect and follow those rules for my son's travel team, but I do not do that for his rec teams. Thank goodness he only plays on one travel team during the year. The commitment by parents can be huge.

Barabell
by Barbara on May. 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Oh, I hope your son has a great season! 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 20, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Those are the same rules for sports around here and I've never heard anyone having an issue with them.  Our football starts at kindergarten and they practice 5 days a week from 5:30 until 7:30.  Parents carpool their kids to practice, that way those parents who aren't home from work yet still can get their kids to practice on time.  It isn't hard to call a friend/neighbor and make arrangements for them to drive the kids to practice and you pick them up.

lulu_tattoos
by on May. 20, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I agree 100%. In our league, you have to make at least 2 practices that week or you dont play in the game. Any practices missed means less playing time. Crappy attitudes and laziness earn them less playing time too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN