Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Are you looking forward to your child entering a new grade?

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM
  • 61 Replies

June is almost around the corner and my son is entering in fourth grade in september. I am nervous and excited for him. I just hope that I am more informed and equiped  on ADHD to help him become a better student. Are you looking forward to your child entering a new grade?  Are you going to prepare your child for the next grade by entering a workshop(for example Kumon) or doing workbooks for that particular grade?

by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen113000
by Jenna on May. 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I am excited for him to go to 2nd grade!! He will have the same teacher as he does now ( we looped him ). I don't want him forgetting everything so we will practice , and I'm hoping his teacher sends home some things. If not I will get what he needs.

PinkButterfly66
by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM

My daughter isn't in grade school any more, but when she was she did not look forward to starting a new grade at all.  She always wanted to stay with the teacher in the previous year (except for 1st grade, that woman was a b*tch).  This year, she's totally looking forward to 10th grade.  We reapplied to a school that she got wait-listed on last year and she got in!!  She is soo excited to say good-bye to school uniforms, chapel and morality classes!

Sarah993
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM
I'm excited and sad. I always get more emotional on the last day then I do on the first day. We always do workbooks and activities during the summer to help retain and prepare. My DD will be going into2nd grade. Thankfully my DS will still be in preschool.
proudmommy690
by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Yes and no lol...im not looking forward to the homework hahaa. I got her some flash cards for math to help her with that and if i ever get my laptop back im gonna have her do stuff on there as well.

She will be going to 1st grade, August 8th.
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM
No he's growing too fast :( plus the requirements go from 3 hours/day to 4 and I don't want to do another hour. I'll probably just throw in an activity after lunch.
We are doing some work this summer. Reviewing a couple of math things he is starting to forget, keeping up on reading, keeping spelling rules fresh, and he wants to do a local history project. I want to do a lot of field trips as well. Other than field trips I'm hoping to stay under an hour a day.
motherslove82
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Yes and no. I always get excited when they start a new grade. I'm glad they did well and are starting a new adventure. This year my oldest is starting middle school and my youngest is starting pre-k. For the first time in 12 years, I won't have a baby at home. That makes me sad, but I'm still happy for them.
mamavalor
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:09 PM

My kids and I always look forward to a new school year.  Hubby isn't.  He's more sentimental.  We don't usually do "work" other than what is required of them, for example, summer packet and reading.  They're doing camp and we'll make it to the library a few times.  My kids retain info well so we don't do review and they don't like learning things that they will learn in the next grade.  We're going to spend more time this summer up in New England, so there will be oodles of learning to do there that won't be on the test.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:18 PM

My 8yo will be entering 3rd grade in the fall.  The big exciting thing about that is he gets to be upstairs now.  Grades K - 2nd are downstairs so being upstairs is new.

My 6yo will be entering 1st grade in the fall.  It's a big step moving to 1st grade from Kindergarten.  He just recently was diagnosed ADHD so we will be working over the summer to get that under control so he's ready to start strong in the fall.

I'm looking forward to it and very hopeful that they will both have a better year than they did this year.  In the case of my older son, each year has gotten a little better but has still had struggles.  So hopeful that next year will be even better yet.  In the case of my younger one obviously just want to make sure that his ADHD doesn't get in the way of his success.

aj23
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:26 PM

My son will be repeating kindergarten. It kills me because I had him tested because he was so behind with some things and it turns out that not only does he know the work, he knows it well but just doesn't want to do it. It's a long story about why but it comes down to social issues. I was told if he improves over the summer they may move him up to 1st but its going to be a long summer trying to get everything all worked out.

happymama2D
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM
I'm looking forward to my son entering first grade. We are switching from public to private school, so I am also anxious to see how everything goes! I certainly don't want to wish the summer away though!! He did really well in kindergarten so we will just probably keep reading, doing some math over the summer to keep him in practice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)