Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

WWYD? Issues with School nurse! very long update #3

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM
  • 51 Replies
Am i overreacting? My ds has meds kept at school. He has an inhaler (asthma),Tylenol, Benadryl, and an epi pen. Well yesterday it got sent home, I was going to pick the meds up tomorrow (whith is the last day of school). Anyways I check everything and for the 2nd yr in a row stuff is missihg. Ds told me he used his inhaler 3 times this year! Over 1/z is missing, oK maybe he just forgot he used it, no biggie. Then the Ty1enol is open and has more than what Came in the bottle from the manufactuer, thats odd. His benadry1 is sealed, I get to the epipen and its used, needs a refill.

At this point I ask ds, he said he never used it. So I ca1led the pedi and pharmacy, both say that it had to be flush and the button pushed to be empty. I call the school and the nurse pretty much blamed my ds and said that I am a liar! She said that the only thing touched this year was the inhaler. She then told me that Kids dont Share other kids meds (Whi Ch st Know is not true, h.s cousins Will sometimes share if they are out).

So would you be mad at the nurse and how far would you push getting it replaced? Just so upset right now

UPDATE: I am going to call the principle tomarrow! My ds came home and told me the nurse talked to him. She told him that he better bring his inhaler to school, because his baq was at home! She told him .that "he would be the first to know if the epipen was used", he had no idea that I had called. i asked if she was nice, and he said she was kind of rude!

I dont think it was appropriate to talk to ds that way, he is only 9 and she made a point to track him down after we talked!

update 2: So I talked to the principle, She is just as concerned as I am. She doesnt understand why the nurse would do this and why she would go to my ds. The principle assured me that nobody was given an epi pen this year. She is always the first to know, because she calls the parents, so the epipen is still a mystery. She is going to talk to the head nurse to figure out what is going on (head nurse is only at the elementary 2 times a week, and is at jr high/Hs the other days). head nurse is calins me tomarrow. I have known fw head nurse for 15 yrs. If nothing else policies are going to change, that is a definent. i Will keep everyone updated after i talk to the head nurse!

Update 3: I talked to the head nurse, they didnt have any policies of checking meds during the year. The HN did agree that the other nurse was way out of line! The HN also said that she was at feild day and asked if she should take some of them, the principle also asked. They got the same answer, that she had it under control. So b/c of everything that happened, they are re-writing the whole policy. From elementary to High SChool, plus she is going to talk to the other schools in the county (the head nurses get together a couple times a year), she is going to get po licies changed across the county! They also want to replace the epi pen for free! Yes it would be nice but said as long as policy changed it wasnt necessary.

So here is the basic changes (possibly more before school starts):

1. When the school gets any meds at the beginning of the year, the schoo1 will have a form for parents to sign saying what the child can carry (i e inhalers). An inhaler would be the only thing the child could carry daily (if parent oks). A seperate slip would need to be signed to send the meds home in the backpack (this would be the only day the Students would have all their meds in Student possesion)!

2. meds are physically checked at the beginning of the year (they already are), but they wi11 be checked before every feild trip and after christmas break! This means even the epipens being physically checked.

3.No child will have access to any meds without being log, including inhalers (inhalers were not logged).
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my4kids274
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Since you got no where with the nurse and she blatantly accused you of being a liar I would set up a meeting with the principle of the school. 

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Talk to the principal, maybe you can get more information.

family in the van   Mom of four

TJFBGMommy
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk to the principal. Ask to see the medication log showing where your son used the meds or if YOU aren't allowed to look at it, then have someone that can that is not the nurse check the log. If she's not keeping an accurate log then she'll be in some trouble for sure.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Who knows what other personnel have access to the cabinet. There could have been student nurses, substitute nurses, etc. I also think expecting the meds to be untouched after an ENTIRE year might be a tad unrealistic. I guess the only way that you can guarantee that they remain untouched is if you keep them and come to administer them when needed.
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I would be going up the chain of command. The tylenol had more in it than it was supposed to? That's an issue. I would understand if a child had a reaction and they needed an emergency epi pen, but they should have let you know that it got used. 

MommyChance
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM
The EPI pen is what would be bothersome to me. If the child has allergies and the EPI pen was used, why wouldn't they inform the parent??!! The parent would need that info for a number of reasons. The others, I agree, no biggie.

Quoting mjande4:

Who knows what other personnel have access to the cabinet. There could have been student nurses, substitute nurses, etc. I also think expecting the meds to be untouched after an ENTIRE year might be a tad unrealistic. I guess the only way that you can guarantee that they remain untouched is if you keep them and come to administer them when needed.

SahmTam
by Tammy on May. 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

What in the world!? The Tylenol came home with more in it? Sounds like it might not even BE Tylenol anymore. And an EpiPen that is used- holy cow. Here if there's an EpiPen worthy reaction the student is ALWAYS transported to the hospital by ambulance, so you should have known if it was used. That all sounds very unprofessional and dangerous. I would contact the principal.

Karen_S
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not care about getting it replaced, but I would be very concerned about the safety of the medication management. There should not be drugs unaccounted for, nor should drugs be moved from its original container into a different one (i.e. too much tylenol in your bottle).  It makes me wonder if the medication dispensing is being properly monitored, and if the answer is no, that could be very dangerous. 

GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I would have a discussion with the principal.  It sounds like procedure isn't being followed since I can't imagine its actually ok for meds to be missing or mixed as happened here.

Basically, I agree with Karen_S.

GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Quoting mjande4:

I would be rather shocked if meds aren't untouched if my child had no need to use them.  Meds are sent for specific children, not general use.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)