Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I will not miss Math Homework!

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM
  • 31 Replies
2 moms liked this

OMG!  These last couple of weeks have been ridiculous!  Tonight's homework had SS in tears.  There was one problem that DH, my 24yr old son, my dad (accountant) and myself worked on and none of us could figure it out.  The problem was a logic/assumption/interpret problem, I think.  No matter how you worked it, you were left scratching your head.  My dad couldn't even figure it out!  LOL

I think that the TEA has tried to simplify the process and in turn have made it more difficult.  This is the 3rd time that I've had to learn how to do Math. Once myself when I was in school, 2nd with my son and 3rd with SS.  2+2=4 people!  Period. 

I emailed SS teacher and told her to please explain what the heck we're suppose to do.  I'm pretty good at math, but this stumped me!  1.5 weeks left of school and counting.....Don't know if I'll survive or not.  I need some aspirin now...LOL 

by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2013 at 9:37 PM

What grade is he in?

JeremysMom
by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Can you put the problem on here? Maybe we can help.

Tx_stepmom
by on May. 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM

He's in 4th grade....

Quoting frndlyfn:

What grade is he in?

Tx_stepmom
by on May. 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I would, but SS already's in bed and his homework is in his backpack in his room.  I'm done with "that" problem for tonight anyways...LOL  Thanks for the offer though.  It maybe that I'm just so tired from working all day, my brain isn't working correctly tonight.  Idk.  His teacher will email me in the morning....She's really good about responding to emails.

Quoting JeremysMom:

Can you put the problem on here? Maybe we can help.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM

ah ok so i should be studying now for it?  LOL  DD is in 1st grade going to 2nd.   We have mastered 2+2 but she hates 2-2 for some reason    She is really good at subtraction but will fight it.

Quoting Tx_stepmom:

He's in 4th grade....

Quoting frndlyfn:

What grade is he in?

Tx_stepmom
by on May. 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Yes start studying now!  LMAO!  3rd grade they start learning Times Tables.  4th grade they need to know them by heart.  There are alot of great websites that have helped SS with his math.  Here in Texas, TEA (Tx Education Agency) has tried over the years to simplify the process, but what they've really done is complicate it more.  My son's math was never this difficut when he was in 4th grade.  2+2=4   Period... 

Quoting frndlyfn:

ah ok so i should be studying now for it?  LOL  DD is in 1st grade going to 2nd.   We have mastered 2+2 but she hates 2-2 for some reason    She is really good at subtraction but will fight it.

Quoting Tx_stepmom:

He's in 4th grade....

Quoting frndlyfn:

What grade is he in?

Tx_stepmom
by on May. 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM

With the subtraction issue, I used cheerios, coins or whatever to use as visuals.  SS learns better that way.  Especially with the subtraction.  I used a dry erase board along with visuals and he learned it alot better than looking at a problem on the page.  

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting Tx_stepmom:

He's in 4th grade....

Quoting frndlyfn:

What grade is he in?

XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My hubby has an engineering degree which means LOTS of complicated math!  I told him that when our kids need help with math homework they are going to him!  LOL  

I will help with English, history, etc.  But math is not one of my strengths.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Wow, my oldest is finishing up sixth grade and we have yet to come across a math problem that he couldn't figure out.  He is currently taking Algebra I.

Tx_stepmom
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I would welcome Algebra.  It's easier than the crap they have the kids doing now.  I really hate the education system here in Texas.  All they do is teach the kids how to pass the STAAR Test here.  My best friend is a teacher and she said that they aren't allowed to teach the kids what they need to know, they are only allowed to teach them basically how to pass the test.  There was Curriculum Night at SS school and it was about the Writing/Reading/Revise & Edit portion of the STAAR Test.  They expect the kids to write narratives that a 6th/7th grader would write (details, details, details).  I asked the teachers in front of the other parents: "How do you expect these kids to write like this?  I can't even get my SS to talk like this at home.  I'm lucky if I get details.  I get one word answers."  The other parents just busted out laughing and shaking their heads in agreement.  It's ridiculous.  I will survive this...LOL  

Quoting steelcrazy:

Wow, my oldest is finishing up sixth grade and we have yet to come across a math problem that he couldn't figure out.  He is currently taking Algebra I.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)