Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

he was afraid

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
  • 6 Replies

I had asked DS if he wanted to go outside and ride his bike. He was very excited because he just got a water bottle and a mirror to put on his bike. So I get it all set up for him and the moment we walk out the door, he refuses to step away from the door. He started crying and saying that he didn't want to go outside, he was afraid of the animals in the woods, all sorts of things. I finally managed to coax him to at least go a little ways out by promising him that if he was still afraid we would go back in. I did this because I don't want him to be afraid of coming outside. I just don't get what happened. 

We live in an apartment complex surrounded by a preserve, we used to have bear sightings but that was over a year ago, animal control took the bears away because they started to roam the parking lot. Now the only animals we see are dear and he loves to look at them. 

I don't understand what happened. He has never done this before. I tried to ask him why he thought the animals were going to come out but he wouldn't tell me. 

by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Has he watched any wildlife videos or movies?  I would be suspicious that someone could have put the fear in him.   I hope it isnt anxiety that is just appearing.   How old is he?

calsmom62
by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:10 AM
The news here the last couple of days has had local sightings of bears and rabid foxes. I wonder if your local news maybe has carried similar tales.or perhaps he just became anxious and used the animals to try and explain it?
momma1708
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:42 AM
He is 5. I am afraid of him developing anxiety issues, i have them. He sometimes watches what they show on pbs, the kratts brothers?

Quoting frndlyfn:Has he watched any wildlife videos or movies?  I would be suspicious that someone could have put the fear in him.   I hope it isnt anxiety that is just appearing.   How old is he?
momma1708
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:46 AM
No,not really. There haven't been any bear/ gator/cougar sightings recently (that's what we normally have to deal with). He has had some issues with bed time because i have stopped letting them watch tv at bedtime, a habit My mom started. But they haven't watched it in a month.

Quoting calsmom62:

The news here the last couple of days has had local sightings of bears and rabid foxes. I wonder if your local news maybe has carried similar tales.or perhaps he just became anxious and used the animals to try and explain it?

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Is it always difficult to get him outside? Might he be developing agoraphobia?
momma1708
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM
No, this is the first time he had ever done this. He has issues getting in the car at night, but that's at night.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Is it always difficult to get him outside? Might he be developing agoraphobia?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)