Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I just set up my 7-year-old's email account....conditionally!

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM
  • 23 Replies

A few of my DD's friends' moms and I agreed to set our girls up with their own email accounts so that they can keep in touch over the summer. I was a little hesitant at first, but then decided that it could be done, as long as DD understood and agreed on some ground rules:

1. Mommy always has access to your account. See me if you need to change your password and I will change it. If you try to change the password without notifying me, I will disable your account.

2. Email is a responsibility and a privilege. If you are not responsible and abuse the privilege, I was block your account until I decide that you have earn the privilege back.

3. Do not give your email address to anyone but close friends and family. Always let me know who you give your address to.

4. Do not open any email if you are not 100% sure who sent it! Let Mommy or Daddy handle it. When in doubt, ask a parent.

5. Do not click on any links or open any pictures or files without Mommy's or Daddy's okay.

6. Do not send anything you do not want your entire family, school, or church to know. Remember: There is no such thing as a private email!

7. Please be kind in your messages to others. Remember that you can easily hurt someone's feelings by accident in email, because no one can really tell if your are "just kidding." Always double- and triple-check what you wrote before you send it. 

We also had a discussion about computer viruses and how harmful they can be, and about people who try to trick you into giving out information through email. Because I have access to the account, I can check DD's Inbox while she's at school to make sure it is spam-free before she accesses it.

What other "conditions" have I missed?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM
3 moms liked this

My boys (ages 9 and 12) don't have the password to their email accounts, so they can't do anything without me being there.  This way I know for sure that they aren't doing anything that they shouldn't.  They also aren't permitted to give out their email to anyone, without my permission first.  The janitor at school could be considered a "close friend" since they see your child daily and most likely talk to your child daily.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM
I agree she shouldn't have the password.
mhaney03
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM
My 10 year old doesnt have her password
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM

My 7 yr old doesn't have her password either and she needs to ask before she gives out her email address to anyone specifically, for the same reasons as this mom.  My daughter has been really great about asking ("I would like to give my email to _____ so we can email this summer.  Would that be okay?")  It has worked out fine.  She has gotten on some spam email lists for sending ecards to her friends and me and clicking the "send me updates" (my fault actually for not warning her), but we have rectified that.

Quoting steelcrazy:

My boys (ages 9 and 12) don't have the password to their email accounts, so they can't do anything without me being there.  This way I know for sure that they aren't doing anything that they shouldn't.  They also aren't permitted to give out their email to anyone, without my permission first.  The janitor at school could be considered a "close friend" since they see your child daily and most likely talk to your child daily.

anxiousschk
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM

What email did you use?  We checked out gmail and she has to be 14.....

ProudMommy51006
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM
5 moms liked this
You're asking for trouble. That is WAY too much responsibility to put on a 7 year old. I think you should re-think this decision.
LadyJag
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Not all the providers require such an age limit. Many, such as those offered through internet services (at&t, comcast, etc.), and even Yahoo, I think, will allow someone under age 13 an account as long as it is linked to a parent account.

Quoting anxiousschk:

What email did you use?  We checked out gmail and she has to be 14.....

gonecrazi
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM

My 11 yo has an email account with the same rules.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 1:07 PM

None of my kids (8, 9 and 11) have an email account.  They can use the phone to keep up with their friends. That being said, the rules you listed are good ones, but I agree about not giving your 7 yo the password.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately a lot of the parents I know no longer have landlines so kids can't call up their friends like they used to unless they all have their own phones (not getting my 7 year old a phone but then again she doesn't have email either).  My son got email at 8 but it was an account where I received copies of all emails sent and received.  I sent up a separate account for myself to have them go to so that I didn't overload my regular account.  

Quoting Pukalani79:

None of my kids (8, 9 and 11) have an email account.  They can use the phone to keep up with their friends. That being said, the rules you listed are good ones, but I agree about not giving your 7 yo the password.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN