Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I just set up my 7-year-old's email account....conditionally!

Posted by   + Show Post

A few of my DD's friends' moms and I agreed to set our girls up with their own email accounts so that they can keep in touch over the summer. I was a little hesitant at first, but then decided that it could be done, as long as DD understood and agreed on some ground rules:

1. Mommy always has access to your account. See me if you need to change your password and I will change it. If you try to change the password without notifying me, I will disable your account.

2. Email is a responsibility and a privilege. If you are not responsible and abuse the privilege, I was block your account until I decide that you have earn the privilege back.

3. Do not give your email address to anyone but close friends and family. Always let me know who you give your address to.

4. Do not open any email if you are not 100% sure who sent it! Let Mommy or Daddy handle it. When in doubt, ask a parent.

5. Do not click on any links or open any pictures or files without Mommy's or Daddy's okay.

6. Do not send anything you do not want your entire family, school, or church to know. Remember: There is no such thing as a private email!

7. Please be kind in your messages to others. Remember that you can easily hurt someone's feelings by accident in email, because no one can really tell if your are "just kidding." Always double- and triple-check what you wrote before you send it. 

We also had a discussion about computer viruses and how harmful they can be, and about people who try to trick you into giving out information through email. Because I have access to the account, I can check DD's Inbox while she's at school to make sure it is spam-free before she accesses it.

What other "conditions" have I missed?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Replies (11-20):
kerrylee39
by on May. 25, 2013 at 7:54 AM
What service do you use to get copies of all the emails?

Quoting disneymom2two:

Unfortunately a lot of the parents I know no longer have landlines so kids can't call up their friends like they used to unless they all have their own phones (not getting my 7 year old a phone but then again she doesn't have email either).  My son got email at 8 but it was an account where I received copies of all emails sent and received.  I sent up a separate account for myself to have them go to so that I didn't overload my regular account.  

Quoting Pukalani79:

None of my kids (8, 9 and 11) have an email account.  They can use the phone to keep up with their friends. That being said, the rules you listed are good ones, but I agree about not giving your 7 yo the password.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

He's 14 now and has a regular email account (which I have the password to) but we used to use zoobuh which I think was free when we used it.  According to this article, there's an annual fee but its not extreme.  There are some other programs listed that might be helpful.  http://familyinternet.about.com/od/sharingcommunicating/tp/email_for_kids.htm

Quoting kerrylee39:

What service do you use to get copies of all the emails?

Quoting disneymom2two:

Unfortunately a lot of the parents I know no longer have landlines so kids can't call up their friends like they used to unless they all have their own phones (not getting my 7 year old a phone but then again she doesn't have email either).  My son got email at 8 but it was an account where I received copies of all emails sent and received.  I sent up a separate account for myself to have them go to so that I didn't overload my regular account.  

Quoting Pukalani79:

None of my kids (8, 9 and 11) have an email account.  They can use the phone to keep up with their friends. That being said, the rules you listed are good ones, but I agree about not giving your 7 yo the password.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Why would your child need their own phone to call friends? When people had land lines that wasn't necessary.

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting Pukalani79:

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

My 7 year old does not have her own phone.  That said, I think its harder for kids to connect using their parents cellphones (many, many of our friends do not have landlines) because when they called a landline, they knew if someone answered that person was home; if no one answered you could leave a message.  Say Child A calls Child B's mom's number.  Mom is in a meeting and doesn't answer.  Try child B's dad's number.  Dad is in FL on a business trip.  Child B is home with teen brother who would have let Child B go  over Child A's house but Child A doesn't know Child B's brother's cell phone number.  I do see it being more difficult for younger children to connect via other people's cells than it was via a landline.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Why would your child need their own phone to call friends? When people had land lines that wasn't necessary.

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting Pukalani79:

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM
That's why you call the evening before. I just think with all the technology we have, we make things WAY more complicated than they really are. I'm not sure having an email account would really help matters. I doubt the kids would be on the internet all day waiting for email.

Quoting disneymom2two:

My 7 year old does not have her own phone.  That said, I think its harder for kids to connect using their parents cellphones (many, many of our friends do not have landlines) because when they called a landline, they knew if someone answered that person was home; if no one answered you could leave a message.  Say Child A calls Child B's mom's number.  Mom is in a meeting and doesn't answer.  Try child B's dad's number.  Dad is in FL on a business trip.  Child B is home with teen brother who would have let Child B go  over Child A's house but Child A doesn't know Child B's brother's cell phone number.  I do see it being more difficult for younger children to connect via other people's cells than it was via a landline.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting Pukalani79:

johnny4ever
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Great post
ProudMommy51006
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM

You've got to be kidding me???? You have one expamle that is pretty elaborate and you think it's hard for kids to connect nowadays?  My dd talks to her friends through my cell phone and we have had no issues. If this scenerio that you described happened, THAT day wouldn't have worked out, but the mom would see that child A called, tells child B later when she gets home. Child B then calls child A and says, "next time try my brother's number or call the night before." Problem solved.

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting Pukalani79:

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM

As I said, my 7 year old does NOT have a cell phone.  If a kid wants an email account (which is how this whole post started), I don't see a problem with it if there are boundaries created (and, again, my 7 year old does not have an email account either).  Good for you that your kids use your cell phone.  My 7 year old isn't into talking on the phone right now but when she is, no I don't really want my cell phone tied up by her.  My son did have a cellphone (a firefly) at 8 because he had started going to friends' houses and I wanted to be able to get hold of him when I needed to and for him to be able to get hold of me.  This is what works for MY family which is really all that matters to me.  What works for your family is great for you.

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

You've got to be kidding me???? You have one expamle that is pretty elaborate and you think it's hard for kids to connect nowadays?  My dd talks to her friends through my cell phone and we have had no issues. If this scenerio that you described happened, THAT day wouldn't have worked out, but the mom would see that child A called, tells child B later when she gets home. Child B then calls child A and says, "next time try my brother's number or call the night before." Problem solved.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 26, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I think those are great rules. I do think you should elaborate on the definition of "close friends", though, because sometimes that's different for a child than an adult. My kids have had email accounts starting around that age, for the same reasons mentioned in this thread. Hardly anybody has landlines anymore!

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 9 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 11 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 16 years old (niece) 

countrygirlkat
by on May. 26, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I think the idea of not giving them their password is so important.
Quoting steelcrazy:

My boys (ages 9 and 12) don't have the password to their email accounts, so they can't do anything without me being there.  This way I know for sure that they aren't doing anything that they shouldn't.  They also aren't permitted to give out their email to anyone, without my permission first.  The janitor at school could be considered a "close friend" since they see your child daily and most likely talk to your child daily.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)