Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I just set up my 7-year-old's email account....conditionally!

Posted by   + Show Post

A few of my DD's friends' moms and I agreed to set our girls up with their own email accounts so that they can keep in touch over the summer. I was a little hesitant at first, but then decided that it could be done, as long as DD understood and agreed on some ground rules:

1. Mommy always has access to your account. See me if you need to change your password and I will change it. If you try to change the password without notifying me, I will disable your account.

2. Email is a responsibility and a privilege. If you are not responsible and abuse the privilege, I was block your account until I decide that you have earn the privilege back.

3. Do not give your email address to anyone but close friends and family. Always let me know who you give your address to.

4. Do not open any email if you are not 100% sure who sent it! Let Mommy or Daddy handle it. When in doubt, ask a parent.

5. Do not click on any links or open any pictures or files without Mommy's or Daddy's okay.

6. Do not send anything you do not want your entire family, school, or church to know. Remember: There is no such thing as a private email!

7. Please be kind in your messages to others. Remember that you can easily hurt someone's feelings by accident in email, because no one can really tell if your are "just kidding." Always double- and triple-check what you wrote before you send it. 

We also had a discussion about computer viruses and how harmful they can be, and about people who try to trick you into giving out information through email. Because I have access to the account, I can check DD's Inbox while she's at school to make sure it is spam-free before she accesses it.

What other "conditions" have I missed?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Replies (21-23):
LadyJag
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Thanks, all! I modified "close friends" to mean that I must approve who she gives her address to before she can distribute it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Jun. 3, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Looks like you covered it all.  To each their own as my kids won't get an account till they reach age 12.

family in the van   Mom of four

corrinacs
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM

You are one brave woman!  I don't know if I could let my son sign up for an emai laccount at 7, but we will see next year when we get there!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)