Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

SUPPLYING ITEMS FOR SCHOOL

Posted by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM
  • 33 Replies

My son is in kindergarten going into 1st grade.  I don't know if any of you guys have this problem in your schools especially in public schools.  My son's teacher sends home a list of things that she needs for the class room.  Like soap, sanitizer, paper towels..etc.... for the school year i probably have gotten this list about 4 to 5 times.  I know money have been cut from schools and it's left up to the parents and teachers to supply these items.  I don't mind supplying the items but I wonder where that money goes or who gets that money that should be given to buy supplies for the kids.  Some of the parents have complained about always supplying but we do it because of our children.

by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Budget cuts there isn't money to buy supplies anymore.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

If everyone supplied for their children, the lists would not go out that often.  Our teacher has only once sent out an email and that was for ziploc bags which the 1st graders really went through this year.  We also on our own sent in a big thing of sanitizer she could use to refill the various ones around the room and wet wipes which save on using sanitizer and soap for art projects or food projects.

Kris_PBG
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM
That budget item is gone. It was cut when budget cuts went down.

I am always happy to supply what my kid's teachers need.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Supply money was cut from the budget meaning when less money is given, they have to stop funding some things and supplies are the first to go. The money isn't going elsewhere. It's not there at all.
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM

The schools budget was cut so they no longer supply those things. If every parent bought these items they wouldn't send the list out as often. I buy what I can but in kindergarten after sending in 10 boxes of tissues I stopped sending.

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Budget cuts are all over. My DDs teachers get pennies to supply their classrooms each year. I buy everything on the list and donate what I can as the year goes on.

The district I teach at gives us a budget too, but it's not enough for everything used in 10 months.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 26, 2013 at 1:33 AM
3 moms liked this

The money's not going anywhere. It isn't there to begin with. School supply budgets are non-existent at this point.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 9 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 11 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 16 years old (niece) 

soymujer
by Mikki on May. 26, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Budget cuts

family in the van   Mom of four

janitablue
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM

You also have to remember there are twenty five to twenty students in a class eventually all the supplies will run out if it is being constantly used.  I honestly don't know where the money goes but I have no problem being supplies for my son's classroom .

LilliesValley
by on May. 26, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Dd goes to a private school (but we get a grant from the state) and I just can't afford to buy the extras for the class items. She was for example supposed to get Kleenex (we don't buy them unless we were really sick) but they had papertowels on the list for kids A-M, so I sent in a few rolls of paper towels that we had. To me it was something, but I just can't go nuts. I know other families provide over for what they need to so I guess it evens out. I hope at some point to provide the extras but right now it's just not a possiblity so I send in what I can. But dd actual supplies are my first and primary concern. I'd feel the same if she went to public school. It's not like they can turn you away for not providing them but I think its great if you can contribute something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)