Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do I have to buy gifts for EVERYONE?

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM
  • 21 Replies

My friends and I were discussing year end gifts for teachers this weekend and a bit of a disagreement ensued. If you are going to gift the teacher, I also believe that you should gift the support staff if in fact your child requires support staff. 

For instance, my son has a ST, OT, PT and Resource teacher in addition to his regular teacher. He also rides the bus for SN children. So we will give gifts for all of the above in addition to the bus driver and bus aide, who monitors my son when on the bus. 

A couple of my friends agree and a couple disagree citing that the support staff is just that , support. That while they help, they are not as invested in a child as a teacher who sees them everyday. The same can be said for other support staff such as the PE, Music, Technology and Art teachers.

I understand that finances can play a part in it as well, Im not talking about extravagant gifts either, just a token to express my thanks and appreciation.

I also think it is ridiculous to believe that support staff is not as invested in your child because they don't see them everyday.

So my question, if you give year end gifts, do you gift the support staff as well as the teacher, or just the teacher?

by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you are right, support staff should be thanked as well.

I gave a gift to ds's teacher & the classroom aide.

jamianne
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I agree with you.  This year we're getting ds's resource room teacher and his tutor gifts as well as his regular classroom teacher.  We feel they've been an invaluable part of his education and helping him succeed and want to show our appreciation because without them he may well have ended up repeating this year.

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I kind of agree with you. For the teacher appreciation gifts we acknowledged all. ( her pe music art and spanish teacher as well as the aide for the two kinder classrooms.) Since my child recieves no additional special instruction from any of them i am doing end of year gifts for only her teacher. And homemade cards for the others.
We did go into the pool for buying all the specials teachers giftcards for christmas, but end of year I am saving for just her teacher.
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM

i can see that. they spend alot of time with the child also and help that child learn. if i gave the teacher something, i would also get them something

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
No "gift" is required ever.

Gifts are a thank you from the heart. If you feel like gifting, do so. If you don't want to, don't.

I have never given end of year gifts. I have surprised someone with a gift totally out of the blue when they did something special but not if it is "expected."
thebailiffs
by on May. 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I agree to some of this. I think we need to really think why you are giving the gift. The gift is to thank them for their hard work and effort. I think know what the teacher/ support staff likes and trying to give something personal that does not cost that much is the best way to go. 

In my office there are 5 of us Special Education teacher and every year there is only one familiy that thanks 1 one 2 of us. We work SO hard everyday and we live to see children with special needs make progress and get an education. 

One of the best "gifts" I ever got was a Brailled hand made card to me from one of my students on my birthday.  ( one of my co-worker helped a little). I framed it and it is sitting on my desk. 

I also think that children need to learn to be thankful for teachers and how hard they work. Even if they hand the gift to the teacher. 

My son will be giving his teacher a container of figs and a hand made card.  The teacher loves figs. 

Thanks for putting effort into gifts for teachers and support staff...

janitablue
by on May. 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM
If my son receive support staff help I would make homemade cards and put gift cards you can never go wrong with gift cards .

Karen_S
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I usually gift the main teacher and the aide. And then I do a "group" gift for both the office staff and the aftercare teachers - like home-made goodies, or a big bunch of flowers.  

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:30 PM
I do support staff as well but they're usually smaller.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Mrs.H_
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Well when my oldest was in kindergarten the class had an aide.  I gave her a gift as well.  Since then he just has one teacher so I just gift that one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN