Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school research paper on kids and cell phones

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM
  • 64 Replies

Poll

Question:

Options:

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 0

I am doing a research paper on kids and cell phones. What opinions do you have? Would you consider getting your child one? If so what age? I would like to hear good and bad news about children and cellular phones. THANKS 

by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zumbafreak11
by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Yes, I will get my daughter a cell phone probably when she's 16 . I'll want to know if she's going to be late coming home from a friend's or her boyfriend's home, but will warn her not to use it while she is driving and not just because it's illegal here in New York. As much as I distrust my ex, I can't see the point in her having a cell phone before then. She's 8.
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I am considering getting dd (almost 9) a firefly since we do not have a landline and she will walk home in the fall.

CafeMom Tickers
mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine each have gotten one around age 10.  We are a busy family and my kids are involved in multiple activities some with traveling teams.  It works for us.

GwenMB
by Gwen on May. 29, 2013 at 9:24 PM

If we do get rid of our landline, we will likely get a cheapie "house" cell phone that my boys could use if really needed.  I don't see them needing something for quite some time, though, since they are only 6 & 4.

If we keep the landline, then they will be in high school most likely - with grades kept up etc.

They won't likely have texting, though, and definitely won't have a smart phone.

SahmTam
by Tammy on May. 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM

My kids are 12, 9 and 7. None of them have cell phones. My oldest will be 13 in a few weeks and we have recently run into several situations where it would have been handy for him to have his own phone- I think he'll be getting one soon.

calsmom62
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Our first child got a phone at 16. That was in 2001. Our second child got one at 15, in 2003, third kid at 12 when he started middle school. , fourth kid will also get one at 12 as he starts middle school.
Outrageous
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know why people seem to think their kids need cell phones just because they are involved in activities!  I mean, years ago, we were all involved in activities and we waited for our parents to pick us up when we were done.  We talked with friends and enjoyed being a kid!  I'm sorry but.... i think it is just because it's a trend getting a cell phone for a 10 year old... just to fit in.... which is ridiculous! ................

and we wonder why kids are the way that they are these days................... spoiled with low IQ scores and horrible spelling but can work games and social sites galore............... smh .....

mjande4
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

That's a pretty broad generalization. My kids have cellphones, because there are NO pay phones anymore. In addition, all three of my kids are honor's students and ONLY use their phones for communication. There are no data plans, etc. It simply is in lieu of pay phones, which we had in school.

Quoting Outrageous:

I don't know why people seem to think their kids need cell phones just because they are involved in activities!  I mean, years ago, we were all involved in activities and we waited for our parents to pick us up when we were done.  We talked with friends and enjoyed being a kid!  I'm sorry but.... i think it is just because it's a trend getting a cell phone for a 10 year old... just to fit in.... which is ridiculous! ................

and we wonder why kids are the way that they are these days................... spoiled with low IQ scores and horrible spelling but can work games and social sites galore............... smh .....

la_bella_vita
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Bump

Pukalani79
by on May. 30, 2013 at 1:25 AM

We got my son a pre-paid cell for Easter.  He's a very responsible "almost 12" year old.  He's home alone some or out on his bike or at various activities, so it was more of a convenience for me than anything.  He cannot get online.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)