Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching our kids to make better decisions and be more responsible.

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:55 AM
  • 4 Replies
What are some of the ways you teach your kids be make good decisions and be responsible? Example: my oldest dd is not very protective of her lil sister. She will get what she wants and leave lil sister high and dry if she can't reach it or take the last juice pack and won't even think to share some with her sis. Even when they play board games it's to the point where oldest dd would rather not play with any if she has to play together. I dont know where she gets it from. Is this just a sibling rivalry thing or what? I don't have any sisters and my bros are older and things were different for us I guess. I want my girls to be nicer, considerate and compassionate towards others. Let the advice roll :-)) & thanks in advance.
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM

The rule from the time the kids were young in our house was, you can bicker/squabble/etc.  behind the confines of our home, BUT the minute you are in other's company you have each other's back.  Family takes care of family.  There will always be sibling rivalry, but you can definitely encourage your daughter's to "tone it down".  I think in some cases girls are worse than boys.  Boys will compete athletically and move on, girls can get a tad testy.  You don't say what the age difference is, but that makes a difference too.  Depending on the ages, your older daughter could be seen as a peer or she could be seen as a role model.  All in all, it's normal.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I have an only child, so I can't speak to parenting a sibiling relationship.

But when talking to my son, I try to get him to think more critically of a situation after the fact. Like if I heard him say something to his friend that came across kind of harsh, I might ask him, "How would you feel if I told you [repeat what he said]?" In other words, I try to get him to think about things from the other point of view. Then we talk about how the situation might have been handled better in the future.

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:28 PM

What are the ages of your kiddos? I was 5 years older than my sister, and was awful to her. :( I'm very close to her now. Not that they all are, I was just a brat. Lol

My kids are 12 1/2 mos apart in age. They are very close, but they also fight. Lol I try to praise good behavior. :) doesn't always work, but, usually. They are protective of each other at school. :)

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM

It's a maturity thing and some kids are naturally nurturing and compassionate of others.  And unfortunately, some are not.  You just need to keep reinforcing the love and bond between the family members. Praise when praise is due and correct when correction is needed. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)