Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How do you feel about cursing in front of the kids?

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM
  • 41 Replies

Do you curse in front of your kids? If so, do you think they know the difference in cursing in front of them versus at them? 

Do you get upset if other people curse in front of your kids? 

Do you think bad language has any impact at all on a child?

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I have to admit, that I have cursed in front of my children and often. I try not to, but honestly it does happen. My son will give me a scandalized look and say "MOMMY, language!"

I don't think it has a negative impact on him because he is not being cursed at, but he does know that it is inappropriate to say. Thus his scandalized look. 

malibucj
by Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM
2 moms liked this

People should not curse around kids.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I do not use those words very often and if i do, you best get out of my way.  It is the ultimate sign i am upset and will explode on your rear.   That being said  I really dont like those words so i do not like if others even use them in my presence.  DD knows they are inappropriate to say.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I have cursed in front of my children, but not at them.  Yes, they know the difference and can't imagine that a school aged child wouldn't know the difference between someone talking to them and someone talking near them.  I obviously am not bothered by what other people say, and realize that I have no control over what others do and say and don't feel that I should have control over others.  Both boys know what words are inappropriate for them to use.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I dont appreciate it around my children. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 1:07 PM
I have cursed around, and ashamedly at my children now and again.

I curse too much and I know it and I'm sure it affects them. I never did it when they were young.it is the teens who make me blow because they damn well know better!
jaytee
by Jen on Jun. 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM
I curse too much. I have cursed around and at my children *hangs head in shame*

They know cursing is bad and on the rare occasion that I do curse at them we talk about it.
ninamsi
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I rarely curse.  I do not like it when I hear people curse around my kids but I can't control other people.  I think that when curse regularly you are teaching your children that it is nothing wrong with the language you are using.  We lead by example so children learn more from what we do than what we say.  Many people use different language when they are out in public than they do at home.  We need to be consistent.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I prefer that no one curse in front of my kids, but I know it happens. Heck, even I slip up w/ an occasional "Damn" or "Crap". My kids know to not repeat those words, that they are not nice/appropriate. They do know the difference between someone cursing in front of them and cursing at them.

If they hear it all the time, esp if it's AT them as opposed to in front of them, it's going to affect them. In front of them, they will think it's normal/acceptable to talk like that all the time. If they are cursed AT, it's going to affect their self esteem.

sonshining
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I do not curse around my son. Although my husband does, curse in front of him and at times at him. My son does know he is not to use curse words. However, as parenting I can't see it makes since to tell the child "don't do this" and then does it. ?? Never liked that. I model the kind of behavior I want my child to grow up and model himself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN