Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

PTA was investigated!

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

Today while volunteering at the Faculty Appreciation Luncheon, I was mentioning that it was always the same people who did things. The PTA president said it went beyond that. Last year, some of the parents had a private investigator do background checks on the PTA board thinking that it was stealing money. They found quite the opposite.

It is a low-income school. There is little parent involvement. The few parents who volunteer put in a lot of their own money to make good programs happen.

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Our school has few parents who show up to the meetings and want to spearhead the activities. I haven't been showing up to meetings because of transportation issues. But I don't understand how people can assume they know what's going on with stuff when they don't show up to check it out.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM
That's good news. I'm glad you have those type of parents on your PTA.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM
This doesn't surprise me and isn't all that uncommon. Jealousy is an ugly creature who causes "grown up" to do things that they normally wouldn't. I'm glad to hear that the people in charge of your school's PTA are doing things by the books and hope that the jealous ones get over it quickly.
mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM
At my elementary they found out the principle got caught stealing from the PTA she was in charge of. She even stole from our vol fire dept. she stole over 100,000 between the two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM
It would have been better to give that money to the school then the pta.
Newfie_Mom
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM
We have a muffins with moms event at my DD1s school the second to last week of school. It's was well advertised weeks in advance 4 moms showed up.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:21 PM

We have muffins for moms in may and donuts for dads in june.  Muffins was packed with moms spending time with their children before school.  I was happy to see alot of the working moms there in their designated outfit for work but taking time to see the muffin event.

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

We have a muffins with moms event at my DD1s school the second to last week of school. It's was well advertised weeks in advance 4 moms showed up.

Newfie_Mom
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:18 AM
We had donuts for dads too. My SO went and said there was a ton of dads including a few he knew from work that he didn't even know had kids at the same school

Quoting frndlyfn:

We have muffins for moms in may and donuts for dads in june.  Muffins was packed with moms spending time with their children before school.  I was happy to see alot of the working moms there in their designated outfit for work but taking time to see the muffin event.

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

bellawomen
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:44 AM
This is why I am glad we are a PTO vs a PTA because there seems to be a LOT more openness. Anyone who is a PTO member has the right to request all records and receive them within 72 hours. Maybe that is just how our PTO runs, but it is amazing. We may not be a Title 1 school, but most of our fundraising isn't 'hey sell this'. We do a LOT of community involvement and apply for grants.

There was a principal here that stole $25k from one PTA at a school, then switched schools and stole another $30k. Both times it was over a period of years. How does no one know that?
Verrine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:36 AM

I'm really hoping that you mean that it's good that there are parents who volunteer their time and donate their money.

Quoting diaperstodating:

That's good news. I'm glad you have those type of parents on your PTA.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)