Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher admits to drinking before taking students on field trip

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM
  • 31 Replies

Teacher admits to drinking before taking students on field trip

Maria Caya's BAC was 0.27, police say

drunk_Teacher_Maria_Caya _1370956372676.jpg

Maria Caya 
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Posted: 06/11/2013 
Last Updated: 13 minutes ago

JANESVILLE, Wis. - A group of parents are outraged after an elementary school teacher passed out after apparently drinking before a field trip with students.

Maria Caya, 50, was chaperoning a field trip to a bowling alley in Wisconsin for fourth and fifth grade students when she vomited and passed out in the bathroom, according to the police report.

When she was taken to a hospital, testing showed her blood alcohol level was 0.27 – three times the legal limit for driving. Caya also told hospital employees she had been drinking alcohol at 6:00 a.m. that day, according to the police report.

"I think that person should be stripped of their license and never be able to teach again," said parent Andrew Klund, whose daughter attends a neighboring elementary school. 

Klund says he was shocked the teacher was not brought up at the school board meeting. However, Hesselbacher stresses there were other supervisors present, WKOW reported. 

Board of Education vice president Kristin Hesselbacher says that the board rarely handles personnel issues, and human resources professionals are handling the investigation.

"There isn't really any good news, but all of our students were safe during that time. There were eight other teachers and staff present at that time, so students were never in any danger. But if indeed that all happened, it was clearly inappropriate," Hesselbacher said.

Hesselbacher said the personnel issue would be handled at the district level, and may not make its way up to the Board of Education. 

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM
8 moms liked this

How else does a teacher make it through those horrid field trips!?  LOL

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow, this is sad.

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL

Quoting mjande4:

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM
3 moms liked this

Considering she started at 6 am, I'd say she has a serious drinking problem and I hope she gets the help she needs for it.

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM
3 moms liked this
With the way some kids act these days, part of me can't blame her! LOL!

However, is she's starting at 6am, that means she probably drove drunk, then continued to drink while at school/on the field trip...clearly, she needs help for a drinking problem :( That's really the saddest part of the whole story.

Quoting mjande4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

hahahaha

Quoting mjande4:

CatFishMom
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM

And people seriously wonder why I dont trust my kids to anyone, including teachers?!

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting CatFishMom:

And people seriously wonder why I dont trust my kids to anyone, including teachers?!

I think it's sad that you don't trust anyone, but to each their own I guess.

debramommyof4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I am with CatFishMom.  I dont trust hardly anyone with my children.  I have to get to know them.  We homeschool because the teacher could not handle my oldest.  I would work on trusting if they want to go back to school but no need right now. 

My husband is about the only person I fully trust alone with my children.  There are a very few others but they all are across the country.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting CatFishMom:

Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I'm glad that my son has had terrific experiences with school, sports, scouts....all activities where I have put my trust in other adults. I'm personally happy that I haven't let media stories like these prevent my son from having all those wonderful experiences and being able to learn from adults that have knowledge in areas that I lack knowledge in.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I am with CatFishMom.  I dont trust hardly anyone with my children.  I have to get to know them.  We homeschool because the teacher could not handle my oldest.  I would work on trusting if they want to go back to school but no need right now. 

My husband is about the only person I fully trust alone with my children.  There are a very few others but they all are across the country.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting CatFishMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)