Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Just because you have money doesn't mean you should get all the perks!

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM
  • 38 Replies

"Just because you have money doesn't mean you should get all the perks! " is what my friend and I were talking about this morning in reference to an article I read online.

I was reading that Universal Studios Hollywood now has a VIP ticket that you can buy for $299. This price includes, "valet parking, breakfast, access to the back lot, an amenity kit and UNLIMITED LINE-SKIPPING".  A regular ticket is $80, a limited line skipping ticket is $149 and now the VIP ticket is being introduced. 

I always thought that people were essentially the same when visiting theme parks. Everyone waits in line regardless of economic standing.

Do you think that theme parks should have these types of tickets available? Good idea or not? 

Would you buy this type of ticket to avoid lines? 

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessicamarquez
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM
I think its a great idea I'd love to save up and line skip(:
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Honestly, I'm fine with it.  If skipping lines is important to you, then you'd save up and buy that ticket.  If it isn't important to you, then you wouldn't worry about saving up for that ticket. 

If you are thinking that this ticket will give celebrities extra perks, I doubt it.  They likely don't go to theme parks like Universal and if they did, they wouldn't be waiting in lines with the general public regardless.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM
2 moms liked this

This. Not to mention if people really think that "high rollers" i.e. celebrities don't get moved to the front of the line already, then they are seriously naive.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Honestly, I'm fine with it.  If skipping lines is important to you, then you'd save up and buy that ticket.  If it isn't important to you, then you wouldn't worry about saving up for that ticket. 

If you are thinking that this ticket will give celebrities extra perks, I doubt it.  They likely don't go to theme parks like Universal and if they did, they wouldn't be waiting in lines with the general public regardless.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM

While I don't like it, I think everyone should wait equally, they already have free ways to skip ahead.

Anyone with a disability can get a line pass and walk right on to ride. Did you see the thing about "disabled" guides renting themelves to famlies at Disneyland so they could use the guide's pass to cut to the front? It happens every day.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

ReadWriteLuv
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:10 PM
This isn't new. Universal has always had their version of a Fastpass (Disney speak) for purchase and it is WELL worth the money. If you stay at a Universal on-site hotel the front of the line pass is included in your hotel rate. I think it's brilliant.

Disney is rumored to be rolling out their similar X-pass soon, in fact I think it's already available to those who stay at deluxe resorts, meaning, the people who spend $400-$750 per night on their hotel rooms.
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM

these tickets are good for the parks because they are good cash revenue strings for them with very little output... the $150 extra for the VIP will not cost them $150 to generate...  I would not pay it because it would make the trip cost prohibitive... if I had a butt ton of money, I would probably pay for line skipping... but I don't expect I will ever have THAT kind of disposable money...

Seems like all the parks are doing this now... and they do it because there are people willing to pay anywhere from $30 to $90 on top of their admission for the privilege of skipping the line.  Line skipping passes cost the parks NOTHING (except the price of a plastic wristband)... while I hate to see them, because it makes all the lines longer for those of us who can't afford the passes, it is just part of the experience now...

Between the line skip passes and the "handicap access" passes, it seems like a quarter of the park guests no longer wait in line...

TroyboysMom
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

A theme park is a luxury - the point of it is to spend money. In areas where it is a need - basic housing, food, etc., I think everyone should have a right to basic, good quality accommodations. For something that is not a need, but a want, and a luxury, at that - I see nothing wrong with it. It's essentially nothing more than an expansion on the main idea - paying for an experience. 

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I had to go back and read because I wasn't sure if I mentioned celebrities or not. I was merely referring to people who have the means to spend the money, not celebrities specifically.

But I do understand your point.  :)

Quoting mjande4:

This. Not to mention if people really think that "high rollers" i.e. celebrities don't get moved to the front of the line already, then they are seriously naive.

Quoting steelcrazy:

BeachMommy07
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM

unlimited line skipping?? I'll have to come back to this post later. lol.

CatFishMom
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

If I could swing it, yes, I would buy a line-skipping pass. If youre paying for it, youre entitled to it. It is what it is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN