Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sone wants 2 where a dress 2 school...should I let him?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:37 AM
  • 68 Replies
My almost 11 year old sone recently told me that he likes boys and girls. I told him that's ok nothing changes we still love him any way. Now on his last day of school, tomorrow he asked if he could where a dress. I told him if his sisters said he could borrow a dress and it fits within all the same regulations I give the girls he could. I also told him that people might not react in all good ways to that. They might say mean things that might hurt his feelings. To witch he responded " that's ok I really want to where it any way!" My husband is a Marine and we live on a military base should I let him where the dress 2 school now wile he's in grade school? I feel like younger kids might take it better. I think telling him no now is only gonna blow up if/when he rebels and decides he's gonna do it any way without us knowing in Jr. high or high school? My hushed is against it.... but I believe in freedom of expression and being who you are and what you want to be, regardless of what others think! If your not braking any laws or hurting any one do and be what makes u feel like the happiest and best you, you can be! Am I wrong should I let him where the dress or not?
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this
You better check the dress code to see if it's specific as to what each gender is to wear.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Im not sure what to say. I believe kids should be able to express themselves
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I am with you.  As long as it follows the school dress code and does not show inappropriate skin like on girls, I would let him wear it.  Does he want to wear matching shoes or sneakers with it?

thebailiffs
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM
If you said yes, In would not go back on it. Just curious what did your husband say?

Do you really think he know what it means at 11 yrs old to like boys and girls?
Good luck, please let us know what happens with an update on this post.

Thanks for sharing...
starbuckadama
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:10 AM

This is a difficult question. 

I'm not sure what I would do but I would make sure it is okay in is school dress code and talk to my husband first. 

If it was all okay all around, I'd let him.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Wedding tickersLilySlim Weight loss tickers

SpurgeonMom
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:17 AM
first i must start off with kudos to you mama! it's awesome to hear not all parents force their kids to be something they are not or don't want to be.

I would let him if he wants to. there is a transgender in 4th grade at or school and she is very popular and has a lot of friends for who she is and who her parents let her be.

Our neighbor is also transgender and the kids 14 year old cousin is gay so my kids have been exposed to all sorts of people and they know everyone is to be treated equal because it doesn't make them any different than them.

Just be prepared not everyone will be accepting but stands by your son :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShanaaJ
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:59 AM
He wants me to loan him my heel we are the same size. I said no to the heels because I think it's a safety problem.
allornone
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Can you buy him a kilt?

ShanaaJ
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:08 AM
My husband isn't very correctable about it, but also believes in being your self. If that who he is then better to get a head start on the long road to becoming the person he's happy with being. As to if I think he understands what liking boys or girls mean. I asked him a searies of questions like "how do you like boys?" He said "like I want to kiss them." Now I I think that means he's gay I don't know that it does or doesn't. But I do no that means he's gonna wanna find out, so brace myself!
calimom1123
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:11 AM
That wouldnt happen where Im from. Most schools dont allow that and I definately wouldnt encourage it. That could cause bully issues that could last throughout school too. Around here we dont even let our boys play with dolls after toddler stage. Never would I let my son wear a dress,thats for girls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)