Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My sone wants 2 where a dress 2 school...should I let him?

Posted by   + Show Post
My almost 11 year old sone recently told me that he likes boys and girls. I told him that's ok nothing changes we still love him any way. Now on his last day of school, tomorrow he asked if he could where a dress. I told him if his sisters said he could borrow a dress and it fits within all the same regulations I give the girls he could. I also told him that people might not react in all good ways to that. They might say mean things that might hurt his feelings. To witch he responded " that's ok I really want to where it any way!" My husband is a Marine and we live on a military base should I let him where the dress 2 school now wile he's in grade school? I feel like younger kids might take it better. I think telling him no now is only gonna blow up if/when he rebels and decides he's gonna do it any way without us knowing in Jr. high or high school? My hushed is against it.... but I believe in freedom of expression and being who you are and what you want to be, regardless of what others think! If your not braking any laws or hurting any one do and be what makes u feel like the happiest and best you, you can be! Am I wrong should I let him where the dress or not?
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Replies (21-30):
ShanaaJ
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Today is the big day. I'm so nervous for him, I couldn't sleep all nite. If nothing else I hope this is a good learning experience for him. Keep your fingers crossed that he doesn't get beat up pleas. I'm not to worried about what the other kids will say it more so what they'll do.
dalbax2
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM

As long as he knows he may be in for some bullying let him do it.  Where it is crazy mix up day it might not even be that big of a deal to other kids.

BlueJane
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this
You could tell him that there are clothes that you only wear at home (like pjs) and if he wants to wear a dress, he is more than welcomed to, but only at home.

I agree, it's a tough one. You want him to be able to express himself but at the same time, spare him any extra taunts at school.
Barabell
by Barbara on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ShanaaJ:

Today is the big day. I'm so nervous for him, I couldn't sleep all nite. If nothing else I hope this is a good learning experience for him. Keep your fingers crossed that he doesn't get beat up pleas. I'm not to worried about what the other kids will say it more so what they'll do.

I just saw this post now. Good luck to your son. Please update us when he gets home. I really hope things go OK for him.

AMDS0304
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Im on the fence with this one although its ok to express yourself im not sure I would allow my son to wear a dress to school. Its only setting him up for the ridicule from others and it will follow him all through the school years. When these kids get in high school they will remember the day and year he wore that dress and I wouldn't be surprised if they are still making.fun of him.then. Is there not any other way for him.to express himself? I know gay men and bisexual men that express themselves without wearing dresses..
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

This. I don't think this is going to end well. 

Quoting BlueJane:

You could tell him that there are clothes that you only wear at home (like pjs) and if he wants to wear a dress, he is more than welcomed to, but only at home.

I agree, it's a tough one. You want him to be able to express himself but at the same time, spare him any extra taunts at school.

ShanaaJ
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I guess we're all about to find out. I just dropped my 3 older kids off at school. There such a funny bunch. My oldest 11 is a boy in a dress,my 9 yearold a big girliy girl, my 8 year old a tomboy, tied together at the end my crazy 2 1/2year old.
sarah824
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM
3 moms liked this

Obviously I am on my own with my opinion, but I would not let me son wear a dress to school at that age. He cannot fully understand the ramifications of his actions. He is going to be a distraction to the other kids and there WILL be kids who laugh at him, even if not to his face. While I do not think it is ok for other kids to make fun it is a reality at this age.

I know I will probably get beat up on here for my opinion, but... I cannot understand what is wrong with boys being boys and girls being girls? We ARE different and there is NOTHING wrong with teaching our children that. I can teach my children to express themselves and to be confident in who they are while still showing them that somethings are just not socially accepted as the norm.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I'll go down in flames with you.  I completely agree and also believe it's my job as a parent to steer my kids the normal direction until their old enough to understand the ramifications of their desires.

Quoting sarah824:

Obviously I am on my own with my opinion, but I would not let me son wear a dress to school at that age. He cannot fully understand the ramifications of his actions. He is going to be a distraction to the other kids and there WILL be kids who laugh at him, even if not to his face. While I do not think it is ok for other kids to make fun it is a reality at this age.

I know I will probably get beat up on here for my opinion, but... I cannot understand what is wrong with boys being boys and girls being girls? We ARE different and there is NOTHING wrong with teaching our children that. I can teach my children to express themselves and to be confident in who they are while still showing them that somethings are just not socially accepted as the norm.

ShanaaJ
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM
See I don't think it matters wha is "socially exseptable." All my kids no the difference between being a boy & a girl. He's different and happy about it... Despite what narrow minded ppl might think or say about him. Or even about me as a mother. What I know is that he's happy and I love him regardless of what he looks like. I may not alway agree with his choices but they are just that his choices. I'm hear for him with gidence and love, to pick him up and dust him off when he falls. Not to tell him he's wrong for being happy within himself. He may never want to where a dress ever again, or next years school clothes shopping trip might incloud dresses. Either way if he's happy I'm gonna support him!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN