Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Just For Fun: Have You Ever Fallen Asleep at Work?

Bank Employee Falls Asleep at Keyboard & Accidentally Transfers $300 Million

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

moneyIt's happened to the best of us. We've fallen asleep at work. Or, um, we've almost fallen asleep at work, heh. Whether we were out the night before or we simply got the world's worst sleep because our friggin' dog was snoring in our ear all night, from time to time, we fall asleep on the job. But for most of us, it merely means a slap on the wrist, or if we're really creative, a 30-minute cat nap. But for one bank employee who fell asleep on his keyboard, it means accidentally transferring $300 million into a random account.

While the employee was napping, he inadvertently leaned down on the "2", causing 222,222,222.22 euros to enter into his computer. The mistake wasn't spotted right away, and eventually led to his supervisor, who apparently okayed the transaction, getting fired. The supervisor took the case to labor court, and the judges ruled in her favor on the grounds that there was no malice on her part, and a simple reprimand would have been the appropriate punishment.

What are the odds? I mean, I suppose the odds of falling asleep on the job are somewhat high, but falling asleep on your computer and transferring almost half a billion dollars -- those odds are slim!

Although it sounds like an honest make, it's a pretty big one at that. I seriously doubt this man will be getting a job any time soon -- at least one that involves large quantities of money. Who would want this dude on their watch? Yikes. That's one expensive nap.

Have you ever fallen asleep at work?

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I would doze off on my break sometimes.

I used to work at one of those big indoor playplaces. To save $, they got rid of the janitorial staff and had us employees do all the cleaning before we opened. If I was the one to vacuum under the tubes the kids crawl through, I would sometimes take a 10 min cat nap under them.

cjsbmom
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Yes. But it's been nearly a decade since that happened, and I was in my first trimester of pregnancy and having horrid tiredness. I used to take my 15-minute break in the ladies room, where there was a lounger chair. One of the other employees would wake me when it was time. So I wasn't really cheating the company out of money, just using my designated break time to have a nap. 

SaraBethKY
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM

The school I used to work at gave us a 50 minute lunch break while our assistants took our students to lunch and recess. Every now and then, like, probably only two or three times a year, I would lock the door, turn out the lights, and set a timer for about 20/25 minutes and go chill in one of the bean bag chairs I had. 

corrinacs
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Yes, I have!  Like you said, when you are a parent (especially a new one) there are sleepless nights!  But you are required to work the next day.

Luckily, my office understands stuff happens.  You can call off if you need to....and if you get that nagging feeling for a nap at work, there are even places to do that!  You can't work efficiently if you aren't awake!  And you can tell that by this article!!!

Now if you sleep a lot at work, then I Could see your office getting worried.  Either you need a lifestyle change or you need to see the doctor.

IAMmomtotrips
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM
I'm at school during show times from 7:30 in the morning to midnight or later, so if I'm gonna be pulling a really late night, I'll take a nap on my couch in my room...

My Thespians do a Thespian show each year that's completely student run. I'm only there to make sure no one dies and we don't have any crazy arguments. I've slept many of the nights on top of the set!
natesmom1228
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM

No

soymujer
by Mikki on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I probably have.

family in the van   Mom of four

mamadee1971
by Dionne on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Yes and I would try to walk around or take a "restroom break" just to stretch my legs, because if I don't move around, I will nod off.  Even in school, my instructor understands and she has no problem with me walking around or excusing myself, so I can wake up.  When lunch time comes around, I'll eat my lunch, then take a "power nap", but I make sure I set my alarm on my phone.

LilliesValley
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I've been close, but haven't. I'm kind of crazy about making sure I get enough sleep. I worked 3rd shift for a long time and would often take my lunch break and set the timer on my phone for 25 minutes so that I could take a power nap. You do what you have to do. I know a lot of folks on day shift that would use their lunch break to sleep in the car. Again, you do what you have to do, but if you're that tired you should probably try to get off early.

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Yeah, but it was during lunch sometimes lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)