Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Just For Fun: Have You Ever Fallen Asleep at Work?

Bank Employee Falls Asleep at Keyboard & Accidentally Transfers $300 Million

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

moneyIt's happened to the best of us. We've fallen asleep at work. Or, um, we've almost fallen asleep at work, heh. Whether we were out the night before or we simply got the world's worst sleep because our friggin' dog was snoring in our ear all night, from time to time, we fall asleep on the job. But for most of us, it merely means a slap on the wrist, or if we're really creative, a 30-minute cat nap. But for one bank employee who fell asleep on his keyboard, it means accidentally transferring $300 million into a random account.

While the employee was napping, he inadvertently leaned down on the "2", causing 222,222,222.22 euros to enter into his computer. The mistake wasn't spotted right away, and eventually led to his supervisor, who apparently okayed the transaction, getting fired. The supervisor took the case to labor court, and the judges ruled in her favor on the grounds that there was no malice on her part, and a simple reprimand would have been the appropriate punishment.

What are the odds? I mean, I suppose the odds of falling asleep on the job are somewhat high, but falling asleep on your computer and transferring almost half a billion dollars -- those odds are slim!

Although it sounds like an honest make, it's a pretty big one at that. I seriously doubt this man will be getting a job any time soon -- at least one that involves large quantities of money. Who would want this dude on their watch? Yikes. That's one expensive nap.

Have you ever fallen asleep at work?

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Replies (21-28):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Yep, but it was on my prep period and it was a nap so that I could drive home.  During the 3rd trimester of each of my pregnancies I struggled in the final hours.  lol

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Yes, when I was doing telephone surveys. I literally dozed off mid interview, and the person never noticed. I think it was only seconds though. So, I guess more like kinda. Lol

proud_mommy35
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Years ago I began my first shift,11-7 pm, as a nursing assistant,I was on the floor for a few hours and went to the bathroom,I was so exhausted I sat on the floor and fell asleep,I don't know how long I had been in the bathroom,but my mother,who was a med tech at the nursing home,came knocking on the door and I woke up.we all got a good laugh and I prepared myself with more sleep at home thereafter lol

honeydewmommy
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Yes plenty of times. Sometimes its so boring I will just fall asleep staring at puter screen. 

jamianne
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:24 AM

When I was required to spend 72 hours straight on a job site I took a couple of quick naps during crew changes and breaks.  I've almost nodded off a couple times reading through regulations and reports but never actually fell asleep.  At most of the jobs I had it was grounds for immediate termination if you were caught sleeping on the job.

reche1978
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:25 AM

yup

umsarah
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I am a work at home translator. Since I literally work a lot on my bed or my couch, I have fallen asleep on my keyboard before :)) But luckily I don't transfer anything,  Iwould just pres ctrl+z, to undo whatever I have messed up in mu slumber.

KayLundy3
by New Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Once.. I made the mistake of going out the night before my 6am shift. A friend was celebrating and I decided to join them. I rarely drink... And my limit is two beers. Well, I had two beers, a shot and a long Island. I got home at 3am.. showered and headed to work... I pretty much slept my whole shift lol. Luckily I wasn't caught and I learned my lesson when it comes to drinking. I now NEVER go over my limit..when I actually get the chance to drink anyway.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN