Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really? How did you not notice? vent

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM
  • 17 Replies

Ds (8) went to a birthday party today and the kids parents drove him since his dad and I both had to work. At the party ds got off some mountain climbing thing and landed on his knee. After the party they went to hang out with one of their friends and brought ds along, no big deal. When he got home he was limping and saying his knee hurt. Some of is was definitely added theatrics, but his knee is a little swollen. They're saying ds never complained about it and was playing with the other kids all evening. My issue is you can see it's swollen and he's walking a little funny (he's not fully putting that foot down). I'm so annoyed because he was hurt for at least 5 hours before he got home and nothing had been done for it (ice, taking it easy).

I gave him some ice and ibuprofen. If it's still swollen in the morning I'll be taking hiim to the er. Ugghh

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Wow, how could you miss a limping kid?  Even if you thought he was screwing around, you'd at least ask him if he is alright.  I'd make sure that my son knows to tell the grown up in charge any time that he gets hurt, and also knows to ask to call you that way you know and the other grown up knows and can keep an eye on the injury.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

He says he told them, they say he didn't. She did say he fell but went back to playing a few minutes later. I'm guessing with all the other kids running around they didn't notice. He's not full out limping but it's noticeable. We'll be having a long talk tomorrow about the importance of telling people when he's really hurt.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Wow, how could you miss a limping kid?  Even if you thought he was screwing around, you'd at least ask him if he is alright.  I'd make sure that my son knows to tell the grown up in charge any time that he gets hurt, and also knows to ask to call you that way you know and the other grown up knows and can keep an eye on the injury.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
3 moms liked this

Injuries like those are much more noticeable to the mom, then to friends, teachers, etc. If there wasn't any blood or tears they probably didn't think a whole lot about it.

Iconoclast
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting mjande4:

Injuries like those are much more noticeable to the mom, then to friends, teachers, etc. If there wasn't any blood or tears they probably didn't think a whole lot about it.

I agree and there are many times when a kid will ignore the pain because they know if they acknowledge it they wont be allowed to continue to play. When something like this happens anger gives rise to a need to blame even if the actions would have been the same under the parents care.

"Religion is nothing more than a political party organized around some guy's moral views."

calsmom62
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM
2 moms liked this
This. I doubt the parents were negligent, but if your kid says "it doesn't hurt that much". Barring obvious severe injury signs they figured if it was serious he would have spoken up.

Quoting Iconoclast:

Quoting mjande4:

I agree and there are many times when a kid will ignore the pain because they know if they acknowledge it they wont be allowed to continue to play. When something like this happens anger gives rise to a need to blame even if the actions would have been the same under the parents care.

RMC007
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:51 AM

When dd was in pre-k, I picked her up from school and she began complaining that her eye hurt. Upon futher inspection, I noticed that her eye was swollen and a little bruised. DD told me that she got hit in the face with a ball (I am sure it was an accident), but she was fine. I asked the teacher about the incedent, and the teacher told me that dd told her she was fine and still wanted to play. I was a little ticked that I wasn't told about the incedent, but my MIL talked to me about it and I understood. DD knew if she complained to the teacher, play time would be over. DD was also having fun playing and may not have even noticed that her eye hurt until it was time to go home and she had time to think about it. We notice something is off on our own kids much easier than other people's kids. You see your ds everyday, so you will notice quickly when he is not himself or walking funny. Your DS may have simply wanted to keep playing and didn't want to let anyone know he was hurt, or was having so much fun playing that he didn't notice himself that he was hurt. I hope that is the case, and I hope your DS feels better soon.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:31 AM
I'm thinking this is the case. He said they told him, but when I asked the kids mom she said ds only said something when they were a few minutes away. I think he was too busy playing and didn't say anything.

Quoting RMC007:

When dd was in pre-k, I picked her up from school and she began complaining that her eye hurt. Upon futher inspection, I noticed that her eye was swollen and a little bruised. DD told me that she got hit in the face with a ball (I am sure it was an accident), but she was fine. I asked the teacher about the incedent, and the teacher told me that dd told her she was fine and still wanted to play. I was a little ticked that I wasn't told about the incedent, but my MIL talked to me about it and I understood. DD knew if she complained to the teacher, play time would be over. DD was also having fun playing and may not have even noticed that her eye hurt until it was time to go home and she had time to think about it. We notice something is off on our own kids much easier than other people's kids. You see your ds everyday, so you will notice quickly when he is not himself or walking funny. Your DS may have simply wanted to keep playing and didn't want to let anyone know he was hurt, or was having so much fun playing that he didn't notice himself that he was hurt. I hope that is the case, and I hope your DS feels better soon.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:33 AM
I'm pretty sure he didn't say anything until right before he got home. Like you said maybe they didn't notice he was limping. I'm just hoping it's ok today.

Quoting calsmom62:

This. I doubt the parents were negligent, but if your kid says "it doesn't hurt that much". Barring obvious severe injury signs they figured if it was serious he would have spoken up.

Quoting Iconoclast:

Quoting mjande4:

calsmom62
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:50 AM
How is he this morning????

Quoting cjsmom1:

I'm pretty sure he didn't say anything until right before he got home. Like you said maybe they didn't notice he was limping. I'm just hoping it's ok today.

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting Iconoclast:

Quoting mjande4:

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Better. It's still a little swollen and it hurts but he's walking pretty normal. I'm very glad we won't need to go to the hospital. Thanks for asking.

Quoting calsmom62:

How is he this morning????

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)