Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

dh is totally going to be that crazy overbearing parent once ds starts school

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:34 AM
  • 20 Replies

OMG he is insisting that he will be walking into the classroom whenever to talk to the teacher, that he will be going to the class the first day of kindergarten to meet the teacher.

as a teacher im trying to explain that 1) they dont let you just walk around the school and 2) its rude to just surprise a teacher like that when (s)he is trying to get ready/ start their day.

am i the crazy one??

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:07 AM
3 moms liked this

No lol Tell your husband to land the rotors.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Try to schedule a meeting with the teacher before school starts or one of the days AFTER school to talk with her.   I dont know if your district has the same set up but ours has each teacher with their own email address so that is how i kept in touch with dd's teacher so that it was not distracting to the teaching time. We did a few after school meetings as well for more indepth questions to ask her.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Parents aren't allowed to walk down to our classes (and if you're caught wandering down after you said you need to use the bathroom, you will NEVER be trusted again as has happened in our school).  Our school has a kindergarten meet the teacher night before school starts but yeah....walking down whenever you want - not happening.  I need that time to get set up for the day and take careof whatever crisis popped up over night.

URHonor
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this
The quickest way to become "that parent" is to mini conference daily before school (at the classroom door) because it disrupts the morning routine! It's rude and inconsiderate. He should email for an appointment.
ohmandy
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:42 AM

if you met him, you'd never think, this guy is a helicopter parent.  haha.  im hoping this will wear off quickly.  i always thought *I* would be the crazy one lol

Quoting mjande4:

No lol Tell your husband to land the rotors.

ohmandy
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM

im really hoping they do an "orientation" type thing.  a friend with kids starting school in the district said her school has one... it makes sense.  i told him that the best thing is to get an email and keep in touch that way (as a teacher its one of the only ways im actually good at keeping in touch).  i know he has good intentions (more of a "if this kid gives you trouble" thing, not a "what are you doing wrong thing") but i explained that if i had a parent just walk into my room not only woulld it throw me off, but id wonder how they got there!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Try to schedule a meeting with the teacher before school starts or one of the days AFTER school to talk with her.   I dont know if your district has the same set up but ours has each teacher with their own email address so that is how i kept in touch with dd's teacher so that it was not distracting to the teaching time. We did a few after school meetings as well for more indepth questions to ask her.

ohmandy
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM

i told him that.  he's the one that handled the registration and evaluation and said that there was noone there to stop him from walking around and that as a parent he should essentially have free range.  i asked how hed feel about random people walking into jacobs room... you dont know if they're a parent or a creep.  he wasnt getting it (but was a few drinks in haha).

im hoping we have a meet the teacher night.  it makes sense.  i dont see dh really just showing up all the time, but the way he was talking makes me nervous... thankfully he'll have a newborn to deal with too by that point, hopefully that'll be a distraction haha

Quoting disneymom2two:

Parents aren't allowed to walk down to our classes (and if you're caught wandering down after you said you need to use the bathroom, you will NEVER be trusted again as has happened in our school).  Our school has a kindergarten meet the teacher night before school starts but yeah....walking down whenever you want - not happening.  I need that time to get set up for the day and take careof whatever crisis popped up over night.

ohmandy
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

im hoping he isnt thinking about this a regular thing... but he definitely doesnt realize the ways things like this work.  maybe im extra sensitive cause im a teacher... but yeah, part of me thinks he's over exaggerating how he will react to school, the other is scared he'll really do crazy stuff like this haha

Quoting URHonor:

The quickest way to become "that parent" is to mini conference daily before school (at the classroom door) because it disrupts the morning routine! It's rude and inconsiderate. He should email for an appointment.

calsmom62
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Our school has a kindergarten sympathy tea, and a playdate picnic at the school plygrnd before school starts and the teacher and principal attend, and after kids eat a sack lunch they pass out popsicles. Parents meet the teacher, kids meet the teacher and their new classmates.
calsmom62
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol. It was probably his booze giving him bravado. Likely he will be more inhibited than his statements indicated. Good luck......

Quoting ohmandy:

im hoping he isnt thinking about this a regular thing... but he definitely doesnt realize the ways things like this work.  maybe im extra sensitive cause im a teacher... but yeah, part of me thinks he's over exaggerating how he will react to school, the other is scared he'll really do crazy stuff like this haha

Quoting URHonor:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)