Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My five year old has a crush, is this normal?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:58 AM
  • 29 Replies

I took my five year old son to music class along with his sister and he started acting completely bizarre. I had to discipline him a few times because he was showing off and acting goofy.  Other mothers were staring at him like he had a problem.

When I sat down to talk to him, he admitted that he really likes one of the girls, and doesn't want me to tell anyone.  He keeps asking me how many more days there are until music class, just so he can lay eyes on this girl.  The funny thing is, is that she looks a lot like his little sister, blonde curly hair and all.  

Is this normal at such a young age?

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tapies2324
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:01 AM
I was in kindergarten when i had my first crush. His name was brian. Totally normal..i think..lol
cocoroo
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I think it is normal.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes very normal.  Emphasize that little girls like boys who are calmer and more polite than the rough , rowdy boys.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:51 AM

My 6 yr old son just finished Kindergarten and he had a classmate he was sweet on.  They both kind of like each other and it was actually very cute.  If they saw each other outside of school they would say "Hi" of course and both blush.  His teacher told me that he always opened doors for her and helped her get her things together in the afternoon when they would get ready to go home.  I agree with letting him know that girls tend to like boys that are polite.

LavenderMom23
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM

It's normal, but they still need to be taught that they are too young. Afterall, girls like boys with hobbies, skills, education, manners and vise versa 

LilliesValley
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Yes. It's just an infatuation. Dd is the same, not so crazy but will spend a lot of time with boys at school. No big deal.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM

It's normal.   When she was in kindergarten, dd had another boy in the neighborhood wanting to marry her- he even gave her a Transformer ring : )  This past school yr, in 1st gr, she and another boy had crushes on each other. I helped in the school library while their class was in there and had lunch w/ dd about once a month- it was so cute to watch them being goofy/silly to make each other laugh.

momofjkkc
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM
My son got a love letter in the 1st grade. I about had a heartattack! But is was kinda cute. His name is Kyle and the girls name is Kylee. When I talked to.him about the letter he didn't really know what it was. He thought she just wanted to be friends.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:23 PM

My five year old son doesn't have crushes, but the girls have crushes on him. 

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:40 PM
3 moms liked this

Me too. I would chase him around the playground and kiss him. By today's standards, I'd probably have been arrested. Lol 

Quoting tapies2324:

I was in kindergarten when i had my first crush. His name was brian. Totally normal..i think..lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)