Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Playdate with no parents

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM
  • 27 Replies

I'm looking for a nice way to invite a friend of my ds to come to our home for a  playdate but not having the parent stay over. We' ve done it a couple of times in the past with another family and  they totally got the point, we always get the point too,  but for some reason this mom that I was talking too and mention that I may invite her son to come over for a playdate, I got the feeling that she wants to stay over too. They are 7 years old and  I think they can handle this, I know the mom from school and we have a good relationship together, but I already have a 2 year old staying home with me  and just don't feel having to host the playdate, look over my 2 year old and entertain the mom at the same time. It seems like a lot, I want this playdate to happen but not have to entertain the mom. What is a nice way to put that out in the invitation?

Ps: Staying for a coffee or tea is ok with me, but not for the 3 whole hours. She also knows that my husband works ou of town and I'll be by  myself, so no reason to stress for not knowing who is going to be over at my place at the time of the playdate.

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Maybe offer to go pick him up for the hangout time and bring him back home.
dtm1491
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:09 PM
4 moms liked this
I thought the whole point of a playdate was for the kids to play and the parents to also become friendly?
ccnstanczak
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:09 PM
3 moms liked this

just invite him over and be casual about it. id say, something like can he come over and ill bring him home around at something o'clock.

JoanahLee
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Might be a bit of extra work the first time, but if you want to be super passive about it you could go for the "we ended up with an extra ticket to ____" kids thing, and Jr. wanted your son to go with us, and come over to play after. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I think this is a good age to start the independent hanging out as long as the hosting parent is around to supervise.   We have done that with DD and one of her friends.  For dd's bday , we took the girls out for some fun.  A few weeks later, dd went with her friend to chuck e cheese to hang out and go to the school fundraiser.  We, the parents, stayed home and went out to a nice dinner.   All the parents have each others phone numbers in case of an emergency and neither have food allergies.

Annonymous30
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Exactly, the other day his friend came over and the whole entire time I was getting in touch with the mom, explaining how things were going and we already know each other.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM
3 moms liked this

This is one of the biggest reason why we don't do playdates.  My boys call their friends and ask them if they can come over to play that day.  There is no invitation or advanced planning of any sort.  Just one kid calling another just like I did when I was a kid.

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Quoting dtm1491:

I thought the whole point of a playdate was for the kids to play and the parents to also become friendly?

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL  And here I thought the idea of a playdate was to give each parent a break from their child to do other stuff and for the kids to play alone!  Seriously though.  It was one thing for a parent to stay (or me to stay) when DD was really little, like 3 or sometimes 4, but now that she is almost 7 the only time I stay is if it is a good friend of mine and we plan to do something while the kids play!  Our whole group of friends does this and we recognize it as a favor to each other.

Quoting dtm1491:

SahmTam
by Tammy on Jun. 16, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I'd just say that your ds would like to have a playdate with her ds. Then mention that she can pick him up at _____ o'clock. That lets her know you aren't expecting her to stay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)