Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

really?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM
  • 22 Replies

so my dd is in gymnastics. she is 6.. there is this other little girl in her gymnastics class that goes to her school. at gymnastics they seem to get along very well, playing together before class etc.. well my dd came home from school today telling me this girl is being nasty to her at school.. calling my dd stupid and ugly.. which is very upsetting to my dd. (she has trouble socializing to begin with)... is it normal for kids to get along in one setting then not another? I just dont understand why this girl is being so mean when they get along elsewhere.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Yes it is. At school she has her other friends, at gymnastics, im guessing its just ur DD so she will act differently.
icn_mom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM

hmmm... now how do you explain this to a six year old who doesnt really understand social situations in general? She really was hurt by this but I dont even know where to begin explaining the hurtful things this girl said..

Quoting sahmw2010:

Yes it is. At school she has her other friends, at gymnastics, im guessing its just ur DD so she will act differently.

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Yes it is normal. It all has to be with who you are with at the time. Kids are very influencial and if one doesn't like someone, they all may follow.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Im afraid i dont know on that one. My dd is the one that acts differently towards people in different settings, though when i catch it, there are consequences to her actions. I have never had to deal with the other end of spectrum. If it is happening, she doesnt seem bothered by it.

Quoting icn_mom:

hmmm... now how do you explain this to a six year old who doesnt really understand social situations in general? She really was hurt by this but I dont even know where to begin explaining the hurtful things this girl said..

Quoting sahmw2010:

disnchntdwife
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM

It could be something as silly as another little girl saying something negative about your child and this (mean) girl picking up on it, it could be that this little girl is jealous at school of your daughter but not threatened at gymnastics. It could be that this is a future patient with bi-polar disease. Either way 6 is an unpredictable age and she will probably want to be her best friend tomorrow. I would encourage my child to find another girl to be "friends" with and talk to her about how a real friend would treat her. 

LauraS2337
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM

The other little girl is probably hanging out with somebody that is influencing her at school, but is around to influence her at gymnastics.  This used to happen to me when I was little.  Same exact scenario.  Turned out, the girl that was so buddy buddy with me at gymnastics, was hanging out with a little girl at school that didn't like me for whatever reason (I mean, what can a 6 year old NOT like about another 6 year old??).  I hate that your DD is going through this.  I remember I used to cry and cry because I was so confused.  My mom finally talked to my "friends" mom, who sat down with both of us, hashed it out, and things changed at school, for the better.  I wish you DD the best :)

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Unfortunately I think it can be pretty normal.  :(

LilliesValley
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Yes. DD had problems with kids at her day care and we kept telling her all the time to not play with them blah blah blah. Well the main girl ended up going to her swim lessons and then wanted to be all buddy buddy with dd. I told dd she's just using you because she knows you. She doesn't want to be friends with you, you are just someone familiar to her.

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh boy, this is normal sad to say.  I had a friend do somthing similar in elementary school.  We got along fine in all our classes in school except one.  She would pretend to be mad at me because it got her attention from the other girls.  I just decided to stop hanging out with her until her mother asked her why we hadn't been hanging out for weeks and made her apologize to me.

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Sad, but normal. Although not a nice normal. :( my own 8yo dd is kind and plays well with everyone.........unless she is with her bestie, our neighbor. Then, they are the mean girls. Even to older girls. :p anytime my neighbor or I hear it, we are all over them. They are just so wrapped up in each other. The neighbor girl is more the instigator. Mine just goes along with it. Not that that makes it okay. The neighbor girl is also very possessive of dd. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)