Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

i cant believe it but i think im THAT mom!

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:40 PM
  • 13 Replies
i cant stand my 7 year old. he such a pain in the ass! i really dont want to be around him. i feel terrible about it and want to change but i cant seem to get past this! HELP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

What kind of problems does he have? Could counseling help? Maybe a new discipline plan? Or maybe you just need a break for a few days.

RADmomma
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Try something new & fun out of the house together??
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

What exactly is he doing and how can you change your behavior to better model for him what you expect?

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Sounds like you might need a break.  If his behavior is out of control, some family counseling might not be a bad idea.  My daughter's counselor was so good, and she would make sure to check in with me and see how I was doing.  She was a life saver!

ohyouknow
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM

IDK what your exact problems or issues are, but I know I get that way with my daughter sometimes. (she's almost 7). I have my days, honestly. Some days I can't seem to just relax and enjoy her - and when I do it seems like she does things she should really just KNOW better than to do - and that just really gets me worked up. Then it's about impossible to get her to drop the issue (whatever it is that day) and move on so we can enjoy our time again. I've been trying to focus more on giving her my undivided attention when I can - usually meaning I give up doing some chores or other things to color with sidewalk chalk, build sandcastles, or whatever. My boyfriend is much better with her (yes, he's her BD). He's tried helping me get along with her better - which sounds so weird to me. I'm her MOTHER, shouldn't we have some kind of way to get along without assistance? :( Apparently not. I think I've actually worked too much 2nd shift, and maybe that's why. (school all day, work all night, not a lot of nights at home. Usually when I was at home all we'd do is fight!)

I'd find something fun to do, just the two of you. Go on a 'date' together, find an adventure. DD and I talked today about maybe doing some volunteering at the local humane shelter (her idea!!!)... Just going, and taking the dogs out for walks and to play. We can't have a dog, but we love dogs. Doesn't mean we can't find some common ground to share our love with each other, and a puppy waiting for a forever home. 

OH and something that has really helped my daughter and I - giving more structure - trying to let her know what is going to be happening soon, what I expect of her, and warning her of consequences and following through. 

natesmom1228
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM

HUGS!! It will get better. Kids go through phases.

cuasterose
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Anything in particular that he's doing that gets under your skin? If not, then perhaps he's going through a PITA stage and you need to make sure to give yourself frequent breaks, do a lot of deep breathing and know that this too shall pass. :)  My ds is 8 and can have his moments where literally him and I have to be in separate rooms lest I say or do something that would lead to a major parenting fail moment. However, when he was 7 it was especially tough. He managed to push just about every single button that he could in an effort to get my attention. Eventually, I realized that what he needed was some mommy and son time. He felt that he was always competing with his little sister for my attention. Hence the attention grabbing behaviors. But if I just give him a few minutes each day of my undivided attention, just to talk with him about school, friends, his latest Minecraft creation, whatever, he feels more validated and I get to know a little more about my son's world. Usually we have our chats before bed, after his little sister is down for the night. Sometimes we don't have much to talk about so we take turns reading one of his chapter books together.

I'm finding now, especially since he's getting older and a little closer to 9 that he's less of a PITA and much more charming and funny! I'm really enjoying his company now and he enjoys being around me, which is precious. Is there some uninterrupted time that you can have with your ds each day? He may be acting out and getting on your nerves because he needs a little extra TLC and validation. How does he do with transition? With spring turning into summer and the transition from highly structured time to less structured days, he may be acting out his anxiety. I know my ds does not do well with change, even positive change, and will start behaving in annoying ways.

In any case, make sure to continue to take deep, deep breaths...

good

MommyOfKings
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Honestly, your not the only one! I've had my days. You should try to find out exactly what the problem is and why you feel this way. Until then I have incorporated a few of my own idea's to help the both of us. I put myself in time out! lol Yes! I set a timer and I go into my bedroom for atleast ten minutes. I try to relax, meditate, pray or just read a magazine. I explain to my children that they are to continue with their activity calmly and try to get along until the buzzer goes off. DO NOT DISTURB mommy! This can work for everyone though. Maybe you can make it an activity. Everyone make their own door hangers to use. But explain that if they use a personal time out it is only for five minutes and you have to talk about what is bothering you. Of course you time out would be for a breather and you donly have to explain. I hope this helps a little mom!

mommy06and09
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM
he doesnt listen. i will tell him to do something and he wont, i will tell him to stop doing something and he will continue. we have rules that we have always had and he refuses to follow them. he sneaks our special foods like marsh mellows we got for smores. just things he knows hes going to get in trouble for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM
You my dear are not alone. I really think 6-8 has been the hardest ages so far. My oldest just turned 8 and i swear more often than not she drove me crazy lol. Im hoping we start to turn a corner soon. I feel bad too for being annoyed but shit. This age is hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)