Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

typical 7 year old behavior

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM
  • 10 Replies
Is it normal for a 7 year old to state that they want to kill someone and hope they die... We are having trouble with my 7 year old and starting to work with a therapist...but I am just curious if a 7 year old says she wants to kill her brother/mom/dad or hurt them when she is angry is that typical for a 7 year old to say when they are mad? I know she would never follow through with the statements; but she is aggressive so just curious if it is typical in the heat of the moment to sya these things or not? I now I hate you is but we have graduated...so just asking.
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SpurgeonMom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM
I have 4 and have not come across this. i have had 1 say they hate me and they saw how upset it made me so that was the last i heard it. any big changes? is she testing you? i'm sorry i'm no help good luck mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
icn_mom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:07 PM

i have only heard one little girl say it, and this girl is in severe need of meds and therapy.. i would personally be very worried if my daughter came out with that type of talk.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM

None of my 3 have ever said that- ds1 is 14, ds2 is 9, and dd is 7. I get "I hate you!" from dd when she's is mad and hasn't gotten her way; I just tell her, "I still love you" and go on w/ what I was doing.

lacyd75
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Never had this with either of my kids. Sorry wish I could help. But I think the fact you have gotten her into therapy is definitely a good idea.

asaffell
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Not from my experience. :( Sorry mama.

Bekki
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:36 AM

I've taught 7 year olds for 20 years. That is definitely NOT normal behavior. Sounds like counseling is needed. Pronto.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

In all my cousins and nieces, I have heard that plenty of times.  Especially the ones who watch action movies or superhero type stuff.  I think it can be normal as they learn what death is and what kililng means.  But if there are other problems, it is still best to get the whole picture checked out.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM

My dd is 11 and says this on a regular basis and has since she was very little.

She is ODD/ADHD/SPD/Aspergers/Compulsive behavior/MID/Lacks maturity in social settings (peers)

My almost 5 yr old says it too , but only cause she hears it from her sister.

My dd mostly says she wants to die over saying she wants us to die, but its been said amung other things that are worse.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I wouldn't say typical, but not something you need to freak out about & think she's got major issues.  When kids learn about new things, like death and murder, they say inappropriate things.  I have 1out of 4 that has always been very dramatic, throwing tantrums & saying whatever he thinks will get a reaction out of us.  

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM
My son will be 8 in November and he's never said anything even remotely close to that about family members. He's talked about killing bad guys if they break in our house but I think that's very different because he's being protective towards family, not threatening them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)