Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frustrated....eczema :(

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM
  • 58 Replies

My 5 yr old son has eczema and recently it has flared up. And, its BAD! It's never been this bad before. Usually, its only on his hands and arms, but now its all over his body, from him nose down to the bottom of his feet and everywhere in between. I gave him the antihistamine his dr prescribed and the ointment. But, it doesnt seem to be helping him. He is still itchy and says his skin hurts. The ointment can only be applied twice a day and the antihistamine, only 4 times a day. What can I do in between ointment applications? I've tried vaseline, which helps a little, but only for a short amount of time. Just seems like nothing is helping and I feel so bad for the little guy. He is very active and loves to play and go outside, but we live in Houston and its close to 100 degrees outside, so he's cooped up inside and just so miserable. Sorry for the long post, just need to vent!

Thanks for listening (reading)! :)

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sillytime
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Gold bond anti itch lotion we put it in the fridge so it's cold :) oatmeal bath? Coconut oil. GL I'm sorry mine have it too and I feel so bad when it flares up :(
khamilton0911
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I've tried the Gold Bond and he says it burns. The oatmeal baths do work when he gets a flare up. But, it didnt seem to help him last night. His entire body is covered in a rash. I havent tried the coconut oil though. I was just reading on another blog about that. But, I wonder if its a preventative step or if it will work once the eczema has flared up? He's got little blisters and red blotchy spots all over. Another worry of mine, is how do I treat the skin around his lips and nose? The steroid cream from the Dr. cant be OK to use in that area, can it?

Thanks for your help! :)

Holland04
by New Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Has your doctor done allergy testing? Maybe there is something in the air or that he's coming in contact with that is causing the flare up. My DS is 5 and has moderate to severe ezcema. Right now we are doing eucerine cream twice a day with steroid cream on the bad spots. I know the humidity and heat make DS itchy. Try using ice packs to help if there are localized spots that your DS is scratching. 

CatFishMom
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM

What about basic calamine lotion to ease the itching? I also have an Aveeno product that has calamine in it that seems to work pretty well. But I dont know if you can apply that over a prescription. Sorry. :-(

Blestmomof3
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I use aquaphor on my dd & it works really well.  My Sil uses it for her son.  Works for him too.  She said she tried everything and this is  the only thing that works.

khamilton0911
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

No, he hasnt recommended allergy testing, but sounds like a good idea to me. I think it's the heat that makes him flare up though. I work all day and he is in daycare, I asked his teacher to apply an ice pack if he complains of itching.

khamilton0911
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Ive tried the calamine lotion and he complains that it burns him :(   Ive tried almost every OTC "eczema" related cream and it all burns his skin.

Quoting CatFishMom:

What about basic calamine lotion to ease the itching? I also have an Aveeno product that has calamine in it that seems to work pretty well. But I dont know if you can apply that over a prescription. Sorry. :-(

khamilton0911
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I'll Aquaphor on my list to try. I am also going to try the coconut oil.  

Quoting Blestmomof3:

I use aquaphor on my dd & it works really well.  My Sil uses it for her son.  Works for him too.  She said she tried everything and this is  the only thing that works.

Holland04
by New Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I don't know how you feel about benedryl but you can also see about giving him a little to help with the itching. We use the 1% hydrocortizone that is available over the counter too (on spots that are itchy but not bad enough to warrant the steriod creams). I grew up south of Houston so I totally understand the heat there. Message me if you'd like to chat. 

Quoting khamilton0911:

No, he hasnt recommended allergy testing, but sounds like a good idea to me. I think it's the heat that makes him flare up though. I work all day and he is in daycare, I asked his teacher to apply an ice pack if he complains of itching.

CatFishMom
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Aw, that stinks. The only other thing I do for my boys' eczema is Lubriderm for extra sensitive/dry skin, but thats long term not an instant relief. I have a steriod cream from our doctor that helps a lot-maybe it's time to get a new prescription?

Quoting khamilton0911:

Ive tried the calamine lotion and he complains that it burns him :(   Ive tried almost every OTC "eczema" related cream and it all burns his skin.

Quoting CatFishMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)