Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Holding Graduation Ceremonies for Kindergartners & 4th Graders Is Absurd

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:35 PM
  • 178 Replies

Holding Graduation Ceremonies for Kindergartners & 4th Graders Is Absurd

by Jeanne Sager

Have you seen them? The slew of "graduation" photos on Facebook, each one seeming to feature a child smaller than the one before? Kids these days graduate from everything. Pre-school. Kindergarten. First grade. Second grade. Third grade ...

Of course, every ceremony is adorable.Of course, the kids are proud, the parents prouder.

But do we really need all these graduations? If little kids "graduate" just for completing a school year, what are we really teaching them?

That you get a big party every time you wipe your nose?

Come on, now, people!

I say this as the mother of an 8-year-old who has gone through two graduations already in life: pre-school and kindergarten. In a few years, she'll have what our district has dubbed a "stepping up" ceremony, the jump from elementary to high school. It's just another word for graduation.

I loved her graduation ceremonies.

But I couldn't help feeling a little silly.

Going from kindergarten to first grade is not really ... much. All she did was walk across the hall (LITERALLY) to another classroom.

She wasn't done. Far from it. Sure, she gave up naps. Sure, she started doing homework (it starts in kindergarten these days ... sigh). But she had so much more to learn.

Has so much more to learn.

As do those graduating third graders and graduating fourth graders (and fifth graders, and ....).

They may have finished a year of school, but they still haven't tackled calculus or gone two rounds with the periodic tables. Shakespeare and dissecting fetal pigs are still ahead of them. There are so many lessons to learn -- academic and life.

More From The Stir5 Best Graduation Speeches of 2013 -- From Hilarious to Heartwarming (VIDEOS)

The dictionary defines graduation as "conferral or receipt of an academic degree or diploma marking completion of studies." But their studies are far from complete.

So how are we defining graduation for our little kids who are constantly "graduating"? It's another reason for Mom and Dad to buy you stuff. It's another meaningless trophy (or tassel) on the shelf. It's another sign that "accomplishments" are easy to grasp.

And it's a load of baloney ... cute, cute baloney.

Do you feel like little kids graduate too much or should we be celebrating their "accomplishments"?

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:38 PM
8 moms liked this

Anything other than a high school or college graduation IS ridiculous!  It's part of the entitlement generation where everyone is a "winner" just for showing up. UGH!

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Barabell:

Do you feel like little kids graduate too much or should we be celebrating their "accomplishments"?

Oh Lord. Yes. Waaay too much celebration of mediocrity in our American school system.

It is no wonder kids get to high school and act like it is the most difficult thing in the world to do homework, and then expect to win awards when they PASS a class.

I can't stand the self-esteem method of education.

Too many graduations. 

I agree about the cute-ness. But watching my little girls pretend to be brides is also cute. This doesn't mean we're going to hold pretend weddings for them. 

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Quote:

but they still haven't tackled calculus or gone two rounds with the periodic tables. Shakespeare and dissecting fetal pigs are still ahead of them. There are so many lessons to learn -- academic and life.

hey now, minus the shakespear part, i havent even done that, and I am done with highschool. for about 10 years now. lol. honestly, im on the fence. as a parent, i love going to the "graduations and award ceremoneys" for my dd and soon ds1, but because of this, they expect a prize for every thing. sure I praise the accomplishmets and stuff, but i dont hold a party over it.

2BBboys0509
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I think preschool graduations are adorable. Both my boys had caps and gowns and a tassel with the year on it. When they graduate from high school then college I plan on putting all 3 pictures in a frame because I think it will be neat to see how different they look. Any other graduations with the exception of those three are just overkill.

csxt99
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I think they are a crock of crap and a waste of time!  My kids never had anything like them and if they had, I seriously doubt that I would have allowed my girls to be part of them.  

Shani527
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Here we dont do a ceremony for K. They did have a "moving up" end of year assemply celebration for all grades and a graduation for the 5th graders going to jr high.
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM
I agree with this

Quoting mjande4:

Anything other than a high school or college graduation IS ridiculous!  It's part of the entitlement generation where everyone is a "winner" just for showing up. UGH!

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Our fifth grade has a fifth grade farewell.  It's not a graduation with caps and gowns but they do get a certificate basically saying good luck in the next school and they do a musical performance for the parents.  My son's 8th grade promotion event included recognizing kids who had done extremely well all 3 years of middle school as well as giving awards for different achievements.  I liked going to them and didn't find them absurd but to each his own; parents can always choose not to go on  principle if they wish.

calsmom62
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this
This week at 5th grade graduation we were joking that they all got merit in "showing up" ..oh and they got a yearbook more elaborate than my high school annual.

Quoting mjande4:

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:02 PM

As a parent I want to say they're adorable. When I was younger my school went k-3 we had a big thing for all our parents (we sang and danced), but there were no cap and gowns. I do think we over praise kids. Don't get me wrong kids need to be praised, but it's done excessively.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN