Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What can I start teaching my 4 year old???

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:38 AM
  • 9 Replies
To prepare her for kindergarten? She has one full year until she can go. I have a 6 year old who is learning at a much faster pace then her sister. My 4yo just likes to watch tv too much but does show interest in reading. She knows her colors numbers, how to write and spell her name. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :-))
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:46 AM

What does she know already?

Mine is almost 5 (next month) started kinder last september and she knew how to read more then 50 sight words. Basic math skills addition and subtraction. All her colors and letters and numbers by saying them in order and by sight. She could count to well over 500. Knew all her shapes and could make letter number or color patterns. She could write on her own and also copy what she couldnt spell.

She could use scissors and cut and follow dotted lines. Use a computer. She had been doing most of this since well before the age of 4 though. We started workbooks at the age of 2, and she was reading sight words by the age of 3.

Im so trying to think here, lol at all she could do. It was almost a yr ago when she started kindergarten. She could tie her shoes, and do buttons and zippers.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM
We start teaching from birth.

Just in talking we count and say colors and shapes.
We read and show letters.
She should he coloring and working on stay in inside then lines. Using scissors, etc

Many schools have a list of things the kids should know. Contact your local school.

The first school that my oldest went to actually gave out a readiness packet. A folder of activities like tracing lines, cutting on lines, games, etc.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM
3 moms liked this

I wouldn't worry about the academic side, as much as, the social side.  Get her in classes/activities that require following directions from other adults, working with team mates, and independently getting ready, etc. It sounds like you are covering the reading, writing, etc. but the social independence is really important too.

nanarose501
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

As a preschool teacher I would strongly suggest that you limit the T.V. time and increase the book time.  Does your local library offer a summer reading program?  most do, and they usually have prizes and all kinds of fun "stuff" for the kids to do while they are enjoying books!  At her age I would strongly suggest showing her a love for books and reading.  You say she is already interested, great!  you can nurture that interest by getting a variety of library books to read to her and with her, and your 6 yr. old can enjoy it too!

minimo77
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Starfall.com is great for that age, teach her letter sounds, letter blends, ( like er, ch,) patterns( square, circle, oval, square, circle, what comes next) Work on fine motor skills, like cutting paper, coloring in the lines, doing up her jackets/shoes. Read her a story and see if she can explain it back to you (comprehension)

As for math, counting things in groups, counting by 2's 5's 10s', counting to 100, simple addition.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I agree with limiting TV focusing on more active play. 

And having strong social skills going into K is also very important. 

I focused on letter sounds and identifying letters at that age. 

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM

get your 4 yr old Leap Frog videos from the library.

Work on cutting and pasting. writing words by sounding out how they sound (doesn't have to be right. It is called "brave spelling".) Engage her in cooking with you. She can do measuring and reading numbers on the recipe. Work on simcle addition using manipulatives. Group the pieces and have her count sets, and pieces in each set, then adding sets to determine the totals. Sight words (you can get books at the library).

Besides that.... she will learn what she needs to know in K. K is a lot of review of basic skills, like letters, shapes, sounds and sound blends, simple math, starting to write short sentences... and learning social skills like getting along, listening and following directions.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM
I used flash cards with my son when he was younger. Numbers, letters, colors, sight words, etc.

Summer Reading program at the library, as someone already mentioned, is a great option too.
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I would echo others.  Limit TV time.  There are great interactive ways to teach letters, etc.  DD had puzzles that taught her letters and sight words.  She also had a state puzzle at that age she loved to put together.  She also colored, did cutting and craft activities, and just did a lot a lot a lot of imaginary play.  She did have a leapster at that age and wasn't super into it, but it has some great learning games that she would play occasionally. 

To start K she should be able to:

go to the bathroom by herself (zippers, snaps, buttons, wiping, etc.)

open lunch containers

write name (all other letters would be good too, but not necessarily proper formation

recognize numbers to at least 10, 20 would be better

know upper and lower case letters and sounds

know a book is read left to right

look through a book and tell the story based on teh pictures

cut along a jagged line

color

hold a pencil correctly

know simple shapes and patterns

If she can do all that, you can also work on:

sight words

CVC words (reading words like dog, cat, bag, mop)

writing sentences using invented spelling

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)