Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Birthday party invites?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 6:50 PM
  • 27 Replies

Do your kids get invited to many birthday parties? I am amazed by the number of invites my son has received lately. He went to 5 birthday parties during the school year and now he has been invited to an additional 5 just since school got out 2 weeks ago. Just wondering if it is normal to have kids going to b-day parties every weekend. Seems like a little much, but these are all kids he knows well and likes so we make sure he gets to go as long as it doesn't interfere with anything else we have planned.

ETA: I am not only talking about class parties. Most of these summer parties are ones with just 5-6 boys being invited. I guess it is good because it means DS has friends and they like to be around him and the parents are accepting of him, but at this point he has had a birthday party every weekend but one starting June 8th and he has one scheduled every weekend until July 13th. It just seems crazy to me.

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM

She had 4 this past year and 5 the year before.  Your son seems to be very busy.  Does he go to afterschool or extracurricular activities as well?

sarah824
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM

He played baseball in the spring and will play football in the fall and he was in Cub Scouts until school got out. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

She had 4 this past year and 5 the next year.  Your son seems to be very busy.  Does he go to afterschool or extracurricular activities as well?

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I was just thinking that could add to the "extra " bday invites since he knows more children than just from school.  One of dd's classmates has had a few times where she had 2-3 parties to attend in one day. 

Quoting sarah824:

He played baseball in the spring and will play football in the fall and he was in Cub Scouts until school got out. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

She had 4 this past year and 5 the next year.  Your son seems to be very busy.  Does he go to afterschool or extracurricular activities as well?

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I think I might be one of the only moms who doesn't do a class party.

We had at least 1 a month in Kindergarten.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Ds2 and dd usually end up going to 3-5 a yr.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Not anymore. The parties are getting smaller now.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM

When they were younger, yes, but as they get older the kids tend to just have small sleepovers or smaller outings.  It eases up after kindergarten/first grade.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Thankfully that isn't an issue here any longer.  Like a few others have said, once they get past first grade the parties seem to slow down quite a bit.  At that point, only good friends are invited instead of the whole class.

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Both my kids were invited to a few this past school year.  We attend as many as possible but keep classmate gifts to $10 or less.

My 9 year old DD had a slumber party with her 3 BFFs but my 6 year old DS wanted a class party.  I invited the whole class to a costume bowling party and requested donations to the local animal shelter in lieu of gifts.  It was a big success - we collected over 60 lbs of food/treats, tons of pet/cleaning supplies and over $70 cash  AND we had so much fun!  Even the lady at the bowling place donated her tip!  It was cool!

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM

With my older, the parties were frequent until he got to be about 11.  Now I take him and his girlfriend somewhere; last year it was the local fair.  My 7 year old goes to about 10 parties a year.

Quoting mjande4:

When they were younger, yes, but as they get older the kids tend to just have small sleepovers or smaller outings.  It eases up after kindergarten/first grade.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN