Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kids Who Hurt Animals Need Better Parents

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 12 Replies

Kids Who Hurt Animals Need Better Parents

by Kiri Blakeley

Here in the big city, I see a lot of pigeons. Which leads me to something else I see a lot of -- kids trying to kick pigeons. Which leads me to something else I see a lot of -- parents standing idly by, saying nothing, doing nothing, as kids try to kick pigeons. Which makes me want to kick the parent. Granted, the pigeons are usually too fast for the kid. Occasionally, however, precious pumpkin picks up a rock and tries to throw it at a pigeon. Parent stands by, glassy-eyed, saying nothing. And we wonder why kids grow up to be cruel.

Occasionally, I've spoken up. Once, in a park, I saw a kid trying to hit a swan that was hanging out by a lake. First off, a kid has no right to hit a swan or even try to hit a swan. Second of all, swans can be dangerous. In fact, in this case, the swan had turned around and was about to take a bite out of the kid. I would have gladly watched it happen -- kid deserved it -- except for one thing. The kid was only about 2. He had no idea what he was doing.

The parents, who stood by not paying attention like the morons they were, should have been telling this child, yes, even at 2, that animals deserve respect. That we all share the same planet. But they weren't -- and the kid was about to get chomped because of their passivity.

So I yelled, "Hey, watch out!" and when the parents and kid all turned and gaped at me, and the bird even gaped too, I yelled, "And what are you doing letting your kid hit a swan?"

They just gaped some more. I'm not totally sure they even knew what I was saying. It was clear, however, that they thought I was a crazy woman. I felt like one. Yes, you parents make me the crazy woman sometimes.

Here's the deal: Animals cannot speak up for themselves except to scratch and bite. And then when they do it, it's everyone else's fault but yours. It's the animals' fault. No, actually, it's YOUR fault. You are not parenting. So I will discipline your kid when you're not doing your job. I will do it to protect creatures who have every right to live their lives without being kicked or hit by a rock.

If you wonder why your kid is being picked on at school -- look around you. Parents let their kids kick helpless birds. Why wouldn't he or she also try to kick a human being? So far the message has been: Go ahead, kick away! I won't notice. I won't care.

Well, I will. I will say something. To you. To your kid. If you won't teach your child, then someone else will.

Do you ever say something to a kid trying to hurt an animal?

What about the parent?

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CarolinaGirl88
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I've never seen any other kids doing something like that, but when my daughter was little obviously she would unknowingly do things to antagonize our dog - pulling her tail, not watching when she stepped down off of the couch, leaning on her too much. I immediately corrected her every time. You have to be considerate to animals, they don't understand that a child is only 2 and doesn't know any better, if they get agitated enough they're going to snap at that kid. Hell, it's what they would do to their own kids, so you can't really fault them for it. You can, however, teach your kid not to do those things and watch them so they don't get into that situation.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM
I have no problem speaking up about things like that, or kids dropping trash on the ground, etc.

Yup, I'm that mom who will get yelled at because "you have no right to talk to my precious snowflake!"

My response... "Well if you were parenting, I wouldn't have to say anything!"
JollyMommy84
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Animal Abuse is one of the things I feel strongly about,I HATE to see Animals being abused,they cannot speak up for themselves,if I were to ever see a kid kicking a bird or throwing something at an Animal of any kind I would speak up.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I have never witnessed kids trying to hurt animals, that were out in the wild or whatever.

I see young toddlers to rough with their dogs and cats. Its a learning process fo rthem to learn to be more gentle when touching/petting an animal. My youngest is 16.5 months old, she knows and signs gentle and has since 6 months old, she knows how to pet the cats here very nice, but I do catch her every so often poking and pulling or hitting the cat, she is lucky he is so docile and wont bite, but I still teach her how to do it, if she dont listen I remove her and redirect the situation.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I have luckily never witnessed a child trying to harm a animal.

motamaid
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:48 AM
Actually they need a doctor. That is a psychological issue not a parenting one.
momto3B
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Unfortunately, that kind of behavior is "passed on".  The parents don't do anything because they do not need what is wrong with it. It's like littering or getting loud and starting fights in public, kids just do what that see modeled by their parents. 

It is important, when possible, to nicely tell kids that their behavior is not okay, even if mom and dad are right there. I have done this many times, and I gently tell they kids why they should not be doing what they are doing and say something like "my boys did that too" even if it is not true, just so that parent does not think I am criticizing them. 

Oddly, it largely works, at least for that moment, and no one has tried to kick my butt yet:) It take a village!!

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM

My cousin is a psychologist.  I was worried about my son.  I asked her, at what point should I be worried and take him in to see a psychologist/psychiatrist.  She said, if he starts hurting animals I should be worried.

I don't think hurting animals is ALWAYS a sign of poor parenting.  Sometimes it can be a sign of a mental illness. Of course, yes, I realize that all children who hurt animals do not have a mental illness. It's just a sign to watch out for. It shows a lack of empathy.

ashleysmommy123
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I am always showing my 7 month old baby that we pet animals nice.  We have a cat and a dog and when she becomes mobile I don't want her tormenting them.  It is the parents responsibility to teach children to be nice to all animals....especially since most animals will defend themselves....but more importantly it teaches respect for living creatures. 

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM

My son loves animals and we actually saw a dead squirrel yesterday and I had to quickly rush him away from it before he started crying. 

However, if I see kids hurting or attempting to hurt animals, it's not my problem. I just walk away from it because I am an adult and I am responsible for MY child, and my child only. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN