Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

10 Things Our Parents Let Us Do As Kids That Would Get Them Arrested Today

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:55 AM
  • 40 Replies
1 mom liked this

10 Things Our Parents Let Us Do As Kids That Would Get Them Arrested Today (PHOTOS)

by Julie Ryan Evans 

hippie vanPhew! We're here, and we're still alive. It's hard to believe we made it this far though, what with the crazy way our parents raised us. There were no helicopter parents or Tiger Moms, no baby monitors or preschool admission tutors; they were just moms and dads doing what they thought best. 

Looking back though, what they thought best was pretty dang scary in many cases. If we followed in their footsteps today, we'd have CPS on our doorstep in heartbeat ... or at least a judgy mom in our face. I recently polled some friends and family to find out what kinds of crazy things their parents let them/made them do when they were young, and they came up with some doozies. See if you recognize any that your own parents did, and add any news ones in the comments.

What's the craziest thing your parents did when you were young that could get someone arrested today?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaTasha1003
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Stay at home alone in elementary...... Sit in the running car while she grocery shopped.... Free Range.... No carseats/seatbelts (I didnt start wearing a seatbelt all the time until I started driving)... Riding in the back of a pickup (we got in a small fender bender once too, the guy was looking at us & didnt apply break well enough)....

veganistic
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Laying in the "way back " of the car on rpad trips, smoking with us on their laps in t the house, sitting in the car while she shopped...lots more things, I'm sure.
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM

My kids ahve the same freedom that I di when I was growing up.

Oldest stays home alnone she is 11 and started at 8 yrs old, its not against the law here. I went to the mall with friends, the park, stayed out till it got dark, so my oldest does this as well. I never not wore a seat belt or rode in the back of a truck, only time we did was at our camp, personal property so it was allowed. My kids its the same.

We never got spanked with sticks as kids either. lol

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Stayed home alone in elementary, free range, i stayed in the car while she went in to shop. I rode in the way back of the station wagon in seats that faced backwards. Sit on her lap and drive (always in the country)
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM
The only thing my parents did was spank me. The others nope.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

We used to ride down the highway with our heads sticking out of the sunroof.  Road in the bed of the truck all the time, sometimes we would have to hold up the keg going to/from the store.  Never road in a carseat and didn't wear a seatbelt until I was an adult.  I bought cigaretts and grocery shopped alone.  I used my dad's credit card on my own in the mall as a tween and teen.  Was left home alone at the age of 11 with my 9 year old sister and infant brother.  I sampled alcohol from a very young age, prior to elementary school.  I had ticks burnt out of me with a cigarette on more than one occasion.  I started driving at 10-11 years old and rolled my first vehicle at 14 or so.

mamaslilpunkin
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I didn't stay home alone until I was 12 and it was only for an hour every day after school.We used to ride with no seat belts.My mom would drive us to the beach with the back door of the station wagon down with us kids sitting on the edge,feet dangling out(granted the beach was 1/2 mile away and she went pretty slow).I got spankings,quite frequently too.There was no "time out", it was "do what I say or you're gonna get a whack!"And I was totally free range,lol.I really feel bad for dd,as she so does NOT have a free range life.I grew up in the country,out in the woods,not alot of ppl or traffic.Now I live in the city and its quite busy so I can't let dd just roam free.She really has no desire to any way.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Stay home alone in elementary school and spankings
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Riding in the back of the station wagon, riding in the front seat at a young age...that is about it.

Tallmomma
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Letting the kids trick or treat by themselves!

OMG what were they thinking!!!!????
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN