Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Nevermind-Found it! (I need help to remember a children's book title!)

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM
  • 6 Replies

Update:  By searching Amazon for titles similar to those in the replies, I found it! It's Bink and Gollie by Kate DiCamillo and Alison McGhee, with illustrations by Tony Fucile. Coincidentally, we checked out another of Kate DiCamillo's books (Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken) from our public library, and we own the 6 Disney/Pixar movies Tony Fucile was an animator for. I'd been going nuts for the past week trying to remember this title. Thanks so much for your help!

One of my kids took out a book from their school library (grades K-2) this past school year. In spite of my phenomenal memory and organizational skills ::guffaw, guffaw:: I cannot remember the title or where I wrote it down, although I do remember writing it down. It was about two girls who are friends. I think one says the other can't do something (possibly involving roller skates?) unless they do or don't do (or maybe wear?) something else, and they end up not playing with or talking to each other for a little while. The one who tells the other she can't do [whatever] gets lonely or bored, and they make up and play together again for the end.

I think it had a few chapters or separate titled parts. I think the title was the two girls' names. It might be part of a small series of books. It was a newer book.

At least, I think that's how it went. I really, really liked this book when I read it to the kids, and they did, too, but I can't remember what it was, and they have no idea what I'm talking about. Since I cannot afford another mark against the condition of my sanity, I have to prove that this book exists.

Can anyone help me, in spite of what's probably the worst book description ever? I'm pretty sure I'll know it as soon as I see/hear it.

ETA: The book was illustrated, but in black and white, and not like a picture book. More like in a Roald Dahl children's book, with some illustrations on their own page, and others a bit more scattered in with the text. The illustrations were not drawn in the same style Quintin Blake (Dahl's oft used illustrator), though, they were smoother. And the book was shorter than most (if not all) of Dahl's children's books.

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sarah824
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Could it be the Emily and Alice series by Joyce Champion?

vicky88
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Bump
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Secret language of girls?

KayDziedzic
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I just googled Emily and Alice, and that's not it :( Emily and Alice seems more...sweet? This book was a bit more...spunky. It did have illustrations, but black and white. I'll add an eta to my post with the illustration info.

Thanks for your help, and for a new series to look into :)

Quoting sarah824:

Could it be the Emily and Alice series by Joyce Champion?

KayDziedzic
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM

It might be ivy+bean...

KayDziedzic
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM

A bit above either of my kiddos' current reading levels, but thank you for trying! :)

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Secret language of girls?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)