Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I don't want my son's staying over at my sister's..apparently they are having fun :)

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM
  • 50 Replies

My sons are 5 and 10, and my niece is 16 and my nephew is in his early 20s and home from college, my sons' only cousins. My sons love them very much, and the feeling seems to be mutual. I was having lunch with my sister yesterday, and my sons tagged along. My 10 year old mentioned to her about how much he'd love to go to her house and see his cousins. She told them that maybe they could go over to her house for a few days to spend time with her family. At her house, my sister has a nice pool, and other fun things for kids to do. I have no doubt that my sister would take good care of them, but, I know how teens and young adults can be. I don't want my kids exposed to anything that they don't need to know about yet. First off, what are my niece and nephew watching on TV? What kind of conversations/jokes will be made? Also, being exposed to a "mature" girl. I know my 10 year old will hit puberty in a few years, but I don't like it when he's around girls in short-shorts, or a bikini if they go swimming, whether it be his cousin or not. I went over there a few months ago and there were tampon applicators in the trash(She should cover them up, I ALWAYS make sure mine are.) Also, I overheard my niece telling my nephew she's a lesbian, I don't want my sons to know she's a lesbian. I'm not sure they know what a lesbian is, I don't think I want them to. I wouldn't mind if they just maybe spent a few hours over there, but not "a few days" My husband thinks I'm crazy, because "It'd be fun for them and alone time for us.." but..I don't know..I don't know how to tell my sister? or sons for that matter..they really want to go, and are excited...

...I actually homeschool my kids because of this fear..

So, I decided to let them go. I guess I should stop being so protective, and let them see the real world.

Or at least my youngest is, my sister just sent me this pic from earlier

Glad I sent them :)

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SKenzie
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Crap...messed up title.."son's" should be "sons"

RADmomma
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM
I'm sure they are exposed more than you think at school. If you're concerned just talk to your sister.
malibucj
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:42 PM

They are probably exposed to all of that at school. Personally, I think you're being a little too anal about it. It is your sister and not a stranger. Just my opinion.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM
4 moms liked this

Give your niece, nephew, sister, AND sons a little credit. I agree with the previous poster. Your kids are exposed to things at school. You are sabotaging your kid's relationship with their cousins out of misplaced fear. Listen to your husband!

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM
3 moms liked this

I do think that you may be overreacting. I have one child in school and one homeschooled and the homeschooled one still hears things via the neighborhood kids. There really isn't anyway to shield them and some things need to be explained such as your niece being a lesbian, especially to your 10yr old. 

pinkysmommy720
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM
3 moms liked this

I am pretty sure your niece and nephew are smart enough to know what talk and not talk about around your kids. Do you blindfold them when you go to the store because they might see a girl in short shorts there or even outside your own house?

MrsSamMerlotte
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this
You are way over reacting.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM
3 moms liked this

Regarding the edit. Oh dear God just bubble wrap them and confine them to the house. SMH

calsmom62
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM
6 moms liked this
Teach your children your values, your expectations. Give them the tools to make good decisions. . That way when they go into the world or your sister's house of wanton lust, wayward girls, wild pool parties, PG tv, and feminine products, they will not go too far astray.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM
3 moms liked this

I think that you need to loosen up a little bit and this is the perfect opportunity.  I'm sure that your sister will have her kids on their best behavior.

My 9 year old son knows about puberty since his older brother is in the midst of it and will be starting soon.  I feel that it is important to discuss these things before they happen so that the child isn't confused or afraid.  As far as tampon applicators, I've never covered them up in the trash and didn't realize that people actually do that.

BTW - I highly recommend The Boys Body Book.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)